Get Your MonsterFishKeepers Cap

Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Hurricane evac

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by shrimparecool, Sep 11, 2018.

1. shrimparecool

shrimparecool AC Members

Oct 2, 2018
    Hey guys,

I’m in North Carolina and am about to run away from hurricane Florence. I may not be able to make it back to my apartment for a week. The power may go out. I have my 25 gal with my betta and 3 (2 pregnant) red shrimp. I’m definitely bringing the betta with me in case I can’t come back for +7 days. Should I worry about the shrimp? I feel like they’ll be alright, but if the power goes out my apartment could get pretty warm.

Thanks

2. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 12:32 AM
    I'd think all your critters would be ok for a week of no power or food.

Good luck & stay safe

3. myswtsins

myswtsins Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Jen
    Friday at 12:25 AM
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    I would think the shrimp would be fine too. Good luck and be safe!

4. TBear

TBear AC Members

Nov 5, 2018
    Stay safe, don’t know anything about if they’ll be fine. But get as far as possible from Florence.

ustabefast likes this.
  5. dougall

dougall ...

34 minutes ago
    I wouldn't leave an unfed betta for a week in the same tank as shrimp,

but that might just be me.

6. TBear

TBear AC Members

Nov 5, 2018
    ^thats true

I’ve done that before. All my fish were eaten.

7. myswtsins

myswtsins Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Jen
    Friday at 12:25 AM
    Jen
    Camera Used:
    Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
    From my understanding, I believe they are taking the betta with them and leaving the shrimp behind.

8. dougall

dougall ...

34 minutes ago
    I thought so too, but wanted to make sure with all the talk of it being ok.

Especially with the suggestion being that all animals would be OK without food for a week, which they would be if kept separate ;)

9. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Today at 12:32 AM
    Either the betta will "maybe" eat the shrimp or he'll be evacuated...& we'll cross our fingers for them all. If the betta gets hungry enough, unlike "regular" times, he may try to eat them...but...in an evacuation situation...it's people first!!... then animals that may not be able to look after themselves...or be replaced. This to me is a no brainer.

If you might be unable to house or care for your animals, I see no sense in trying to care for a betta in an emergency situation. Pets are wonderful, they are not "irreplaceable" even if it's very sad. Many of us have had to start over, it's sad for whatever reason. It's people, then maybe mammals & then maybe fish in my "go" book. It depends on where you're evacuating to; a motel, a relative's house, a school gym? How is the betta to live in those situations & for how long? Days? a week? 2? More?

Get real on priorities! I live in earthquake territory, I'm not taking any fish with me if the time comes...but I will hope for their survival when I can return & take it from there. I've also lived in blizzard, tornado & hurricane areas, but not flood zones. Almost all of our fish have survived these ordeals. They can be difficult to deal with, but we do the best we can at the time.

10. FreshyFresh

FreshyFresh Global Moderator
    Staff Member

Joel
    Today at 12:44 PM
    Joel
    One thing I didn't see mentioned was what style of filtration is on this tank. If it's a hang on back style or a canister, you're going to want to remove the media from the filter and put it in the tank. It will help keep the media from getting funky and preserve the bio media.

ustabefast likes this.