Hurricane evac

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

shrimparecool

AC Members
Aug 29, 2018
Hey guys,

I’m in North Carolina and am about to run away from hurricane Florence. I may not be able to make it back to my apartment for a week. The power may go out. I have my 25 gal with my betta and 3 (2 pregnant) red shrimp. I’m definitely bringing the betta with me in case I can’t come back for +7 days. Should I worry about the shrimp? I feel like they’ll be alright, but if the power goes out my apartment could get pretty warm.

Thanks

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I would think the shrimp would be fine too. Good luck and be safe!

TBear

AC Members
Aug 31, 2018
Stay safe, don’t know anything about if they’ll be fine. But get as far as possible from Florence.

Reactions: ustabefast

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I wouldn't leave an unfed betta for a week in the same tank as shrimp,

but that might just be me.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
From my understanding, I believe they are taking the betta with them and leaving the shrimp behind.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I thought so too, but wanted to make sure with all the talk of it being ok.

Especially with the suggestion being that all animals would be OK without food for a week, which they would be if kept separate ;)

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Either the betta will "maybe" eat the shrimp or he'll be evacuated...& we'll cross our fingers for them all. If the betta gets hungry enough, unlike "regular" times, he may try to eat them...but...in an evacuation situation...it's people first!!... then animals that may not be able to look after themselves...or be replaced. This to me is a no brainer.

If you might be unable to house or care for your animals, I see no sense in trying to care for a betta in an emergency situation. Pets are wonderful, they are not "irreplaceable" even if it's very sad. Many of us have had to start over, it's sad for whatever reason. It's people, then maybe mammals & then maybe fish in my "go" book. It depends on where you're evacuating to; a motel, a relative's house, a school gym? How is the betta to live in those situations & for how long? Days? a week? 2? More?

Get real on priorities! I live in earthquake territory, I'm not taking any fish with me if the time comes...but I will hope for their survival when I can return & take it from there. I've also lived in blizzard, tornado & hurricane areas, but not flood zones. Almost all of our fish have survived these ordeals. They can be difficult to deal with, but we do the best we can at the time.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
One thing I didn't see mentioned was what style of filtration is on this tank. If it's a hang on back style or a canister, you're going to want to remove the media from the filter and put it in the tank. It will help keep the media from getting funky and preserve the bio media.

Reactions: ustabefast
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store