hydrocoytle tripartita?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I've had trouble growing this for very long. I'm lame at ferts & don't have co2...but it's supposed to be easy in low tech.

Hexo, a new AC person, is having trouble with it too. I didn't ask about their tank. Please tell us Hexo.

Hexo

AC Members
Jul 3, 2021
ah. 75 gallon
Established ab half a year.
Same.
Not lots of ferts.
Some flourish roottabs, if i can remember, flourish liquid and potassium.
Thanks for the welcome!
is yours turning yellow with holes in it too?
the top seems to be

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
I have hydrocotyle tripartita "japan" too
All I do with it is liquid ferts (ThriveS). It likes good lighting though and is prone to some melt in new setups. It's not as easy as hydrocotyle leucocephala.

I started mine as a tissue culture so it's still tiny.

20210704_001003.jpg

It doesn't do well low light if in deeper tanks. Can do low level lighting in shallow tanks better though.

Best bet is medium level lighting for it. This one doesn't need to be attached to wood, does fine in substrate.

Seen on the left in my shrimp tank (pardon the seed shrimp lol)
20210703_222946.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Hexo

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
We have grown it, most recently in a small aquaon rimless cube,maybe 2.5g with the LED light that came with it.. I would estimate medium light.

Lightly stocked with shrimp

No CO2, Stratum substrate, no root tabs, thrive a couple of times a week.

not really my thing,but it should grow rooted or emersed. I want to say it will feed from the roots, so if rooted concentrate on root tabs vs the water column. Seachem really are not complete.. I would suggest Thrive, Tropica or DIY.

Knowing the light would help.. but my suggestion would be better root tabs.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I think I had it in a 20g long, medium light...& of course lame ferts of any kind (sigh). I don't remember holes in the leaves or it turning yellow, that may be different issues. Mine just didn't look good for too long & I may have ripped it out accidentally or in a fit of frustration, or for new plants to try. I do think better ferts would help a lot as dougall & Noodle said.

What kind of lighting have you got Hexo? On my 75g I have 2 T-5s (HOs? I don't recall), I'd call it medium-ish. I tried Brazilian pennywort (h. leucocephala) a long time ago in it. As I recall it's leaves seemed larger & darker green than Noodle's look, at least for a while...mine was in the substrate.

Flourish root tabs are mainly micros, not much at all in the way of macros (NPK). Maybe Hexo, yours needs more macro ferts, I'd think that could account for yellowy leaves...but not the holes so much...I don't know what that means.

Do you have a test kit to tell your nitrate level? It's the N of NPK. Phosphorus (P for potash in NPK) is often from fish food & waste. In a lightly fed tank that could be low but not too likely is my understanding...K is for potassium. I think there's a sticky at the top of this plants forum that explains ferts better than I can...Well, I kind of know, I just don't dose them...You & I Hexo both need to up our fertilizing game!

Hexo

AC Members
Jul 3, 2021
I think I had it in a 20g long, medium light...& of course lame ferts of any kind (sigh). I don't remember holes in the leaves or it turning yellow, that may be different issues. Mine just didn't look good for too long & I may have ripped it out accidentally or in a fit of frustration, or for new plants to try. I do think better ferts would help a lot as dougall & Noodle said.

What kind of lighting have you got Hexo? On my 75g I have 2 T-5s (HOs? I don't recall), I'd call it medium-ish. I tried Brazilian pennywort (h. leucocephala) a long time ago in it. As I recall it's leaves seemed larger & darker green than Noodle's look, at least for a while...mine was in the substrate.

Flourish root tabs are mainly micros, not much at all in the way of macros (NPK). Maybe Hexo, yours needs more macro ferts, I'd think that could account for yellowy leaves...but not the holes so much...I don't know what that means.

Do you have a test kit to tell your nitrate level? It's the N of NPK. Phosphorus (P for potash in NPK) is often from fish food & waste. In a lightly fed tank that could be low but not too likely is my understanding...K is for potassium. I think there's a sticky at the top of this plants forum that explains ferts better than I can...Well, I kind of know, I just don't dose them...You & I Hexo both need to up our fertilizing game!
i have 0 nitrate...
what's some good non micro stuff?
my tank is very understocked

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
Tropica capsules are good, or diy with fertilizer salts or osmocote or something.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store