I. AM. BACK.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
wow, life has taken me on one hell of an adventure since I was last active on this board, but as always it tends to bring you full circle sometimes.

I had a beautiful 30 gallon in the past that ended up falling into disarray when I got arrested for a crime I didn't commit, spent little over a month away from home and the tank crashed bad due to not being able to be properly maintained although I did pop in when I could....eventually ended up giving all the fish and plants away (maybe it was here?!) and tearing down the tank.

I was in what seemed like a failing long term relationship, life had appeared to really hit a dead end, or at least one hell of a gravel road.

I was working dead end jobs as the economy slowly crumbled, pretty much trying my best but going nowhere fast, living in the ghetto and barely able to pay bills and support my family.

life didn't just beat me when I was down, it outright buried me.

Finally, I got my chance, the opportunity I was looking for (or so I thought) I got laid off from my job on excellent terms which allowed me to take advantage of a government program to go back to school.

3 tedious years of spending sometimes 12 hours in classes, another 5 or 6 at home studying and doing homework and generally "ignoring" my family and I graduated with a 3.18 GPA and a sweet Electromechanical Engineering Technician diploma....

However that didn't quite pan out, I was one of the best of the best in my class in both theory and practical, and had experience in many areas, but that still wasn't good enough for a company to hire me in the now broken economy where people were retiring but they wanted 25 year olds with 30 years of experience.

Fast forward through a brief struggle, some work on the relationship, and I stand here now working for myself with a (business) partner, with very little debt, a vastly improved relationship (which literally happened in the last like 2 months) and a much better standing in life.

I'm still living in the ghetto for now, but hopefully that will change in a few years.

Me and my gf (of 20 years) are now back to setting up an aquarium together and working together to improve our overall quality of life.

A picture of our project below. and we're also setting up that old 30 gallon again :D

IMG_6089[1].JPG

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Good story! Welcome back, congrats on improving your life and glad to see you on the rise. But you are a liar!! You have a brand new Fluval FX6, you must be in debt! ;) Just kidding. What are you plans for the tank?

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Well! It's about time..... ;)

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
Good story! Welcome back, congrats on improving your life and glad to see you on the rise. But you are a liar!! You have a brand new Fluval FX6, you must be in debt! ;) Just kidding. What are you plans for the tank?
Oh...was the FX6 in the picture? gee I didn't even notice ;) LOL, My paydays are a little sparse, and sometimes a month or two apart, but they're bountiful when they arrive..... generally enough to pay my outstanding bills, afford one fancy thing and then be broke again :)

I'm going to go heavily planted and after the plants are established probably heavily stocked.
I'm definitely thinking 3 ropefish, maybe some angels, a betta.... ??? not entirely sure yet, I have some research to do still before I get to stocking fish.

Well! It's about time..... ;)
yes it is.... just curious though, are you familiar with me here? probably not eh?

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I wish you all the best, always nice to hear these "Rags to success" stories.

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
I wish you all the best, always nice to hear these "Rags to success" stories.
I think "success" is a little bit of a stretch right now.... but lets just say on my finally deserved path to success.... a little more hard work, a few more tough hours and I think I'll be looking back on success in the rear view mirror.

I've been to hell, thoroughly explored it, had tea with the devil and then decided that it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

I've done things people wouldn't proud of, I've cut off family, I've alienated "friends" and I have torn a path of destruction on my way to success, but in the end me and my family come first, and everyone else has been nothing more than a minor hurdle or small roadblock standing in my way.

This most recent aquarium is more than just that, it's a symbol, it's a symbol for what we've achieved and something for us to come together and work towards.

It's hard to put it into words to be honest.

wesleydnunder

Discus Addict
Dec 11, 2005
Gulf Coast Texas
Real Name
Mark
Welcome back! Glad you made it through some tough times. Good luck going forward and please post pics as you build your new tank.

Mark

DarkSoul

Mad Scientist
Mar 12, 2007
London, Ontario
Welcome back! Glad you made it through some tough times. Good luck going forward and please post pics as you build your new tank.

Mark

I'm might make a post soon detailing my not-quite-finished-stand build a bit.

We're probably about 3-4 months away from actually stocking it with any fish. I have some plumbing to over-complicate, then we can add sand and start establishing some plants and cyccle the tank.

Rbishop

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Pretty sure I am familiar with you...been here for a short while.....

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
I'm might make a post soon detailing my not-quite-finished-stand build a bit.

We're probably about 3-4 months away from actually stocking it with any fish. I have some plumbing to over-complicate, then we can add sand and start establishing some plants and cycle the tank.
Please make a post about over-complicated plumbing too! :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store