i bought api filstar [impeller] magnet.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

telly2

AC Members
May 1, 2020
the magnet i bought has little cap rubber on only one end yet i see them sold with cap each end. is mine no good? it's new off chewy. my rena xp3 filstars all slowed down and can't get the flow good.they run good for a few days ,then slow down.i'm not sure about putting new magnet in??? if i use an old cap it might be worn and slip. anyone know why some are sold capped each end, others not? thanku

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
I don't have any experience with this brand filter but a quick search shows that what you received is correct and the new impeller comes with only 1 rubber bushing/bearing. I did find an old video from Planet Rena showing how to clean the impeller well and he said when you order a new impeller, you only get 1 rubber bushing.

It seems an odd practice to me also as I would also have expected to receive 2 new rubber bushings/bearings with a new impeller.

telly2

AC Members
May 1, 2020
thanku for replying. yes it is odd a brand new impeller with one cap.yet i see some sold with both end caps. thanks

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I have Rena 3s but have not had to replace an impeller (yet). As I recall the end that fits into the lid the rubber doesn't always come out easily. Have you tried using your new 1 as is with an old cap? You need to brush/Q-tip all the impeller surfaces or it may not work right with built up gunk. Be gentle...

I only just started using my Renas again after ~10 years, likely I've forgotten some of their quirks. But compared to an old Fluval 404, they're awesome! My issue was always air trapped in the canister that needed lots of tilting & shaking to get all the way out. Good luck!

telly2

AC Members
May 1, 2020
i haven't put the new one in yet, i'm running a magnum 250 till i get chance to take the filstar and change impeller. i'm wondering if using old cap will make the filstar run slow. these were good filters but they are older now and maybe motors are not up to par. i sent for the magnet,hoping it gives it the flow it had before. i actually have 2. one on each 55 gal tank and i ordered a new filstar xp3 also.i was wondering why some sold with both caps and some not. can they be used with only one cap? well i'll see about using and old cap on the other end. that's all i can do and clean good with q tip. thanku

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Like I said see if 1 is stuck in the motor side or use an old 1. It mostly just holds the rod & impeller in place. I just cleaned mine & don't remember issues...but I'm not willing to open it up to see until I need to clean it again, lol. Not with Renas, but in tanks with sand I have seen impellers "etched" with fine scratches. That's why I usually use a sponge prefilter on the intake, that & to keep big debris out...a pretty quick rinse of a prefilter every 2 or 3 weeks & I need to clean filters of all types less often...I'm lazy.

I also use 2 filters on most tanks over 20g, less maintenance that way.

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
The caps should not affect the speed.

The impeller being broken would, potentially the motor being broken would too.. but I haven't heard about that.

If your old impeller is not broken, I would be more inclined to think that the tubing had a blockage (or the water path within the filter)

If it's not noisy, it's likely not the impeller.

telly2

AC Members
May 1, 2020
I have Rena 3s but have not had to replace an impeller (yet). As I recall the end that fits into the lid the rubber doesn't always come out easily. Have you tried using your new 1 as is with an old cap? You need to brush/Q-tip all the impeller surfaces or it may not work right with built up gunk. Be gentle...

I only just started using my Renas again after ~10 years, likely I've forgotten some of their quirks. But compared to an old Fluval 404, they're awesome! My issue was always air trapped in the canister that needed lots of tilting & shaking to get all the way out. Good luck!
here's what i found out. i went to put the new one in with just the one cap. i shined in and old cap was stuck fast in the top. couldn't remove. left it in ,put new impeller in and its running so far for maybe a week or so. if t doesn't slow flow like usual then it needed the magnet.thanku

Reactions: dudley

telly2

AC Members
May 1, 2020
The caps should not affect the speed.

The impeller being broken would, potentially the motor being broken would too.. but I haven't heard about that.

If your old impeller is not broken, I would be more inclined to think that the tubing had a blockage (or the water path within the filter)

If it's not noisy, it's likely not the impeller.
thanks for the info.well i put new impeller in and it's running ok but for how long. now i need to figure if there is blockage if it slows up again.it just might slow again .this is reason i thought i needed magnet and they aren't real cheap.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Do you use very fine filter media like floss or the polyester type pad? Those tend to clog fairly quick & will slow flow. Mine is a DIY version that allows bypass when it's clogged but may slow flow a bit. Again, another reason for a prefilter sponge or to skip that really fine media.

I also have a slight kink in my hoses because they're a bit too long. I bailed on dealing with it until next time...The hoses are quite stiff but can bend maybe more than you (or I ) want.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store