Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

I can't identify what's wrong with him

Discussion in 'Plecos' started by TarmacMeat, Apr 4, 2017.

1. TarmacMeat

TarmacMeat Registered Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Hi. I have this pleco that I got from the LFS about 6 weeks ago and I think there is something wrong with his skin but I've spent weeks googling and searching forums and I just don't know, neither does the store. He's been this way since I bought him but this weird yellow colour seems to be spreading. He eats fine, swims around and chews his driftwood but I just can't seem to accept this might be normal and was hoping someone had advice? The people at the LFS couldn't figure it out and suggested I try dosing the tank with an anti fungal treatment and basically said see if that fixes it, if not come back and buy this multicure thing instead. I'll post my water parameters in the next comment but it's an established 55Gal with 2 Amazon sword plants, java moss, banana plant, 6 tetras, 3 danios, 3 MTS and a bamboo shrimp. Does anyone have ideas from the photos? It's not ICH and it's not fuzzy? 20170312_150546.jpg 20170312_150558.jpg 20170312_150546.jpg 20170312_150558.jpg 20170312_150546.jpg 20170312_150558.jpg

2. TarmacMeat

TarmacMeat Registered Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Also, I know 55gal is too small for him in the long run. I'm working on getting a larger tank set up in the very near future..Assuming he doesn't die.

I have to post the water stats in the morning but they shouldn't be bad, never have been before and the tank has been running for almost 2 years

3. predatorkeeper87

predatorkeeper87 AC Members

Friday at 7:27 AM
    from those pics he looks fine...is there a noticeable film coming off of his skin? He looks a little washed out, and that's probably from stress of a new environment...don't medicate, simply do a few extra water changes per week and see if he clears up.

Frank Castle likes this.
  4. Frank Castle

Frank Castle AC Members

Yesterday at 7:45 PM
    STB_2576.JPG STC_2577.JPG STD_2578.JPG
    omg dude, he's a Gibbiceps Sailfin Pleco and that's how he is SUPPOSED to look - there's nothing wrong with him, stop wasting medication. They get more colorful as they grow bigger. Here's mine for example at 8":

5. fishorama

fishorama AC Members

Yesterday at 11:29 PM
    What do you feed him? He's an omnivore & needs both plant & meaty foods.

I can't really tell from your pics...does the "weird skin" seem to be getting worse or more widespread? I'd just go with big water changes once or twice a week, they can be very helpful. I agree, not need for meds yet.