I did something kind of crazy...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Wow, stupid stupid stupid idea. I am totally regretting this.

I'm picking up a 20 gallon aquarium for it today. 5 gallon isn't even working for a short time. Stupid idea...

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Yeah, that's not really surprising. A 5 gallon tank is a bucket, the main difference is you can see through it! I would have tried using a large clear Rubbermaid type bin instead from the get go, if you back it up against a wall the bowing is not too bad. A 30 gallon tub is only like $9-12 around here.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
He escaped! This is getting worse and worse. He can't stay in my bathroom anymore either. I'm getting phlorid flies. I have to go out and pick up that 20 gallon for it.

Update: I ACTUALLY found some one who will adopt him and he didn't even want to eat him. He wants to keep him as a pet. Somebody has saved me from my own stupidity. Lesson learned. Don't "save" anymore livestock from the grocery store.

platytudes

AC Members
Nov 4, 2006
Panama City, FL
Real Name
Nicole
Well, that's great. No use in shelling out money that you don't have, for a creature that you know isn't going to work out! We've all done this kind of thing when we were younger...when I was 15, I spent a summer "rescuing" tadpoles from ditches that were drying out during a drought. It's really best not to jump into 'rescuing' anything unless you know exactly what you are doing.

At least it will make you mindful when you're eating crab - pretty different when it's a face staring back at you, than when it's just some processed bits in a can or pouch! I am a pescatarian and eat fish very rarely, mostly only when I'm going out and there is nothing else to eat...or if I have a hankering for sushi, which I get a few times a year. For the most part, I'd rather not be part of the whole awful process. There is plenty to sustain us growing right from the ground, and it's healthier anyway to cut way back on our consumption of animals. A little is ok, but a part of every meal....is insane.

Khemul

Sea Bunny
Oct 14, 2010
South Florida
Awww, I wouldn't call it stupid. Trying out new ideas can be interesting. Sometimes it ends in disaster, sometimes it is a learning experience, sometimes it all works out perfectly.

The thing about crabs is they can be very interesting but they are basically the Oscars of invertebrates. They are not interested in your plans at all. Hell, sometimes they seem like they get their enjoyment out of turning any plans the aquarium owner has upside down.

captmicha

Le tired.
Dec 6, 2006
Maryland, USA
Well, he's now in better hands. And not even in some one's stomach.

At least it will make you mindful when you're eating crab - pretty different when it's a face staring back at you, than when it's just some processed bits in a can or pouch!
Oh, I know! This is exactly the reason why I catch and release, or at least one of them. I can't eat something that looked at me, or something that I've seen alive. It reminds me too much that I'm eating a corpse! I like to be separated from my food right up until I'm eating it.

I could have kept this crab if I could have a larger aquarium and not have to keep it in my room and if I had money to buy equipment with, particularly marine salt.

I wonder if lobsters make good pets... ;)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store