I have to look for a new heater. Again.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

NoahLikesFish

AC Members
Dec 1, 2020
Indiana
Real Name
Noah
Yeah most fish can do ok in a unheated tank as long as your room is 72 degrees+ When I was a noob I had a dwarf gourami no heater and it lived several months

Reactions: Sprinkle

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
Have you looked into Sera heaters at all? I've not owned one, but have heard they're built very well. I have a mix of marineland, aqueon and various no-name cheapies. I tend to use lower wattage units in the event they stick on as mentioned above. At least in the US, most of your store bought heaters, including marineland and aqueon have lifetime warranties, but you've got to be sure to hang on the receipt and maybe UPC to get mailed a replacement. I've gotten them to send me new heaters with just an email or two, w/ a pic of the dead one along with the receipt. I've got enough spares to last me a long time.

My tanks run between ~70F into the low 80s in the summer time (no a/c where most of them are), so basically the heaters don't run at all during the warm months and only have to heat the water a few deg F warmer than room temp in the winter.

I know heaters are designed to be submerged, but I get longer life out of them by leaving the dial-ends out of the water.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
That's a coincidence. The reason why heaters might last longer not being submerged is because the rubber and plastic used for the gasket/top is prone to aging and failing, and any sweating will cause either high humidity in the heater causing rust(which could cause a sticking bi metal) or larger leaks will just cause a downright short. Heaters typically fail due to the nature of their design, the bi metal strip ages and need regular adjustment. Also with due time, the electrical current could cause a burn spot which can make it stick and thus, overheat the tank.

Sprinkle

AC Members
Mar 21, 2020
UK
That's a coincidence. The reason why heaters might last longer not being submerged is because the rubber and plastic used for the gasket/top is prone to aging and failing, and any sweating will cause either high humidity in the heater causing rust(which could cause a sticking bi metal) or larger leaks will just cause a downright short. Heaters typically fail due to the nature of their design, the bi metal strip ages and need regular adjustment. Also with due time, the electrical current could cause a burn spot which can make it stick and thus, overheat the tank.
But a thermostat should do the trick? I use must heat mat and has a thermostat that do it job good.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store