I need a glassbanger !

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Doesnt really need to be agressive enough to hit the glass but you get the point Since i now have a 40B open due to an unfortuante event i am now looking into buying a large-ish solo wetpet. Id like it to be agressive but not carnivorous. So heres what i have to work with:

40B
PFS substrate
Aquaclear70
Fluval C4
A tight fitting custom made hood
T5 light fixture
Heater

Please start suggesting everyone. :)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Is there a such thing? None come to mind. Vegetarians are normally not aggressive territorial maybe with others of there own kind but not really to others. If there is one out there I'm unaware of it. Why no carnivorous fish? Most can be kept very healthy on a pellet diet with the occasional treats like blood worms, krill or even silver sides to prevent the introduction of disease or parasites to your wet pet.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
Is there a such thing? None come to mind. Vegetarians are normally not aggressive territorial maybe with others of there own kind but not really to others. If there is one out there I'm unaware of it. Why no carnivorous fish? Most can be kept very healthy on a pellet diet with the occasional treats like blood worms, krill or even silver sides to prevent the introduction of disease or parasites to your wet pet.
Flowerhorns are carnivorous but are very agressive. The reason i dont want one is because of the massive hump. I know its going to be hard to find one but i know its possible. I was thinking of a single JD, gold saum, paratilapia bleekeri/polleni, grammode, or maybe a Texas( not sure on this one because i havent done research on it yet).

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
You only have a 40gal. That is too small for those fishes.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
You only have a 40gal. That is too small for those fishes.
Yeah i know :/ thats why this is a challenge. Thats why i was thinking of them but still doing research. I forget who mentioned it a while back but i was going to do sort of an african "biotope" with different fish species but i decided to go a diffent route. As mentioned in this thread if you have any species of cichlids that youd like to suggest im more than willing to check them out because who knows what could catch my eye. Even if its not large-ish, im still open to all suggestions.

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Jack Dempsey's don't get to big but not really a glass banger in my experience. Could try a electric blue Jack or a platinum by itself in there. I believe Green Terrors get a bit too big for a 40b aquarium. Out of the five fish you mentioned only one would be ok in that tank solo. Amphilophus lyonsi could work they stay smaller then flower horns no abnormal looking bump like some flower horns plus there pretty neat looking if you ask me.

real_mr.g

Registered Member
Dec 2, 2013
Stuart, SouthFlorida Martin Co.
Real Name
Mark
Man if you want a glass banger get a breeding pair of Maganese Chiclids and keep in a 55. I had a pair that were as big as large smallmouth bass in northern rivers. When the laid eggs (which never hatched) they would get so aggresssive they would almost break the glass in the tank inside my office! I contributed a lot of eggs to the "Maganese Egg" project USF ran for several years and was told by the prof. said some kind of fungus was getting on the eggs because of the water. It siure as hell didn;t slow down the convicts or any of the others. The only other ones i never had luck breeding was the Texas chiclids, they always would get so mean they would kill their mates even! They (the manganese) finally got so big i gave to a friend with a private pond not connected to any other possible water escape routes and they got almost 2.5' long before getting killed in a freeze which left even the snook and lots of saltwate4r native fish killed and floating!

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
Ummmm Managuense cichlids get 18" long and not suitable for a 40b tank. The op is asking for a single fish to put into a 40b. Would be nice if we give info which is relative to what the op is asking.

ktrom13

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
boston
Real Name
Kyle
I may need to change the title of this thread from "glassbanger" to "wetpet". I may have over did it by saying "glassbanger" as i now realize that most extremely agressive fish need a larger tank. So any agressive or just generally good wetpets. Thatnks everyone for the suggestions :) unfortunately jags get way to large for my current setup :/ as i keep doing research im going to take a look at a few of the suggestions already made and hopefully make a decision soon because this empty tank is just killing me :(

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
There are various species of Thorichthys that are all suitable for a 40b tank. I know neets are pretty nasty little fish like they don't know there real size. Convicts and there closely related brethren are suitable as well.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store