I need a pleco

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
I have a common monster that I need to find a home for, and I want to get a new fancier pleco. I've read that clowns and zebras only get to about 6" but don't like to eat algae so I've come to the experts for advice. which pleco is best for me?

tank:

90 gallon planted tank
lots of driftwood
general community setup with angels, barbs, clown loaches and a schoool of tetras/similar fish TBD.

I want something that catches the eye (when not hiding).

pH is typically between 6.5-7.0
substrate is natural gravel laced with flourite

algae consumption isn't a real deciding factor, but it is a plus.

clayt101

Registered Abuser
Clown plecos do eat algae, zebras don't though. You could also try an albino bristle nose, nice color and eats algae.

Wippit Guud

///\\oo//\\\
Sep 27, 2002
PEI, Canada
*Starts reading the collecting mind of AC*

Humina humina humina

*DING*

Most will say either bristlenose, golden nugget, and rubber-lip plecos.

Last edited:

fishypoo2

Editor of Tropical Fish Monthly
Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Hi,
Bristlenosed plecos only grow to 5"-6" inches, are great algae eaters, compatible with most fish (except really aggressive ones), and are generally inexpensive. Thanks,

Serrateeth_2002

Godzilla
Nov 3, 2002
Singapore
Common Plecos?These guys are huge though but if you take your time to observe it,it does have a personality.

perrito_blanco

Cichlidophile
Sep 9, 2002
NJ, USA
Rubber-lip plecos (Chaetostoma sp.) are native to fast moving water and require a high oxygen environment. Hence, they appreciate a strong current somewhere in the tank to hang out in front of. They are also omnivores and wouldn't concentrate on your algae the way a Bristlenose Pleco would.

rjl420

AC Members
May 13, 2002
Temecula, CA
photos.yahoo.com
thanks for the replies everyone.

I guess I should say that I rarely have any algae in my tank since it's pretty heavily planted so algae consumption is rather moot. really the only thing I want it NOT to do is eat my plants and to stay somewhat small (<6").

I think I'm still leaning towards a clown pleco or something similar. I also like the candy striped plecos (or something like that). do they also stay small(ish)?

yannfulliquet

Hypancistrus Lover
Aug 23, 2002
Hi!
What about Sturisoma or Farlowella spp!
THese grow to about 8 inches. They do not touch the plants...except for very very tender ones ( especially Farlowella do that) They are peacefull, do not eat eggs. THey don't blow your whole set up while moving!!!!
Hypoptopoma spp are getting around 3-4 inches and look like huge Otocinclus and behavea lot like them.
Otocinclus and Parotocinclus are good as well but have a tendance to eat soft plants even if enough vegetables food are given....
Cheers
Yann

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store