I need help please....

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Arctic_Fishery

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
cleveland,Ohio
fishdomain.netfirms.com
I think for christmas as one of my presents I'm getting a bare stripped down 10 gallon fish tank!I'm very excited!Now I know I'll have to buy the hood,lights,etc.etc....but that's why I posted.Can someone be so kind as to post what kind of pump,filter,heater or any equipment I should get so I can look prices up and calculate the totals....also what would be a good fish setup......any suggestions would help I'm open to all fish but I really would like 2 panda cories in there.Thanks in advance guys!

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
Here is what I would do(mind you I am cheap). For filtration I would get an aquaclear 150 and by two extra sponges. I would get a glass top and either a single aquarium striplight or if you plan on plants maybe one of the dual 24 inch shop lights at your hardware store. Lets see that leaves a heater... for that I recommend a 50 watt ebo-jager.

Here is about what it should cost.

EBO-JAGER HEATER TS 250 WATT(EboJager) $17.99 (big als)

SINGLE STRIP LIGHT -24" (BLACK)(Allglass) $23.99
or a 24 inch shoplight for ~$15

AQUACLEAR 150 POWER FILTER(Hagen Products) $12.99 (big als)
AQUACLEAR 150 FOAM - VALUE 3 - PACK(Hagen Products) $2.49

And a glass top should run about 15 bucks or so.

So you should be looking to spend 80 bucks + gravel/fish/plants ect. Hmmm so this is an expensive hobby eh? Maybe I should go back to watching tv.

edit: just remember that 10 gallons are 20" I believe so the shoplight is out unless you want 4 inches overhanging.

Last edited:

Arctic_Fishery

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
cleveland,Ohio
fishdomain.netfirms.com
so the glass top would act as the hood?i've never seen that before...cool!I'm not really into plants at all!Is it extremely important to do real plants???so what would i attatch the light on??the glass top??sorry but I'm new to the eqipment and chemistry.....also what would you do about a fish setup...ju7st your personal opinion....thank you for the help bud!:D

famman

AC Members
Aug 16, 2002
Los Angeles, CA
My wife has a gorgous 10 gal platy tank. She uses penguin 125 $12, glass top with strip light about $25, 50 watt heater about $10, air pump for decorative bubbles $10, gravel $2, plastic plants and other decorations $15.
6 Platys and ghost shrimp $5 for the lot.
And don't get 2 panda's. They like to be in groups of 4 or more. They're very small you might squeeze in 6 if you clean weekly and you'll never regret it until you buy a bigger tank for more of them. And maybe not even then.
good grief!
:)

Last edited:

Arctic_Fishery

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
cleveland,Ohio
fishdomain.netfirms.com
nice!!Looks like its gonna take me a couple months to get my tank together...then my 19th b-day is in feb.!!!!!!!!20 gallon hex baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!i wanna do sand in that one...good or no?

ewok

Senile Member
Jun 11, 2002
new haven ct.
actually i think you might be best with the allglass deluxe model hood, they run about $30 with one flourescent tube. the also sell incandescent for $20 at petco or wal-mart. that gives you the top and lights locally, i was unable to find any worth buying online when i checked, they cost a little more because of shipping. i would stay away from incandescent if you can afford it, they tend to cause temperature swings.

50 watts for the heater should be adequate, ebo-jager, tronic, or visi-therm are good manufacturers.... about $20 at a guess.

the airpump could be anything and even a simple airstone.... cant see that running more than $10. i might actually suggest looking into a cornerbox or sponge filter for added biological area in the long run instead of the airstone. you can, but i would not use it alone, my suggestion is more towards giving bacteria a place to colonize and minimizing impact during cleanings. the extra filter would be another $5-10 probably. most of my airpumps atm are made by "profile", any size should work for 10g. you should get a somewhat large airstone tho, if you don't use the filter idea, it will have to be sort of heavy to hold itself down with air going through it.

the filter, preferably HOB. whisper, aquaclear, maybe even a small emperor..... i would not suggest buying the smallest, overfiltration is a good thing usually. my 10gs that have bare minimum filters (whisper 5-15?) are always sort of a pain, and seem to get dirty alot faster.

a small gravel vacuum would be good also, that should be pretty cheap.

test kits, preferably a master set, but ph, ammonia and nitrite would definately be reccomended.

a thermometer or 2 would be good, i have glass and stick on and they both seem about the same.

dechlorinator?

etc......

www.bigalsonline.com

if you can buy any of these products online it will save you some money.

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Ewok, your setup looks good, but if he ever decides he wants live plants, he's going to regret the single-tube fluorescent in the standard deluxe hood. I've got a glass top, with two single strip lights sitting on it, one in front of the other. I stack one on top of the other briefly to be able to open the front glass flap when I feed, then I replace it. And I still want more light for my plants!!

Anton--why the two extra sponges for the AquaClear? (They don't get replaced, do they? Just rinsed out at water changes?)

-- Pat

Anton Wernher

AC Members
Feb 24, 2002
NC
No you don't need to replace them... the aquaclear filters some with a sponge and a carbon insert. You do not the the carbon and there is room for two more sponges. Having the extra sponges allows for more bio media and enables you to alternate the cleaning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store