I need help!!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

streaker1271

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Mississippi
One of my algae eaters has a patch on his nose that looks like fungus growing on him. What could this be? It wasn't there yesterday but when I fed them a few minuters ago I noticed it. I thought it had a piece of old food stuck on its nose but that wasn't the problem. I took it out of the tank and put it in a bowl that I have. I got the algae eater Saturday. Can anyone help??? :confused:

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Sounds like it may be fungus. There are several anti-biotic treatments for fungal infections. If you have another tank, set it up and treat there. Watch your other fish, they might get infected.

streaker1271

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Mississippi
well i just have it in a SMALL fish bowl. Because I have no where else to separate him from the rest of my fish, in hopes I got it quick enough to not spread it to the others. Should I keep it in there to treat? Do yall think I should treat the others too? Or just if they show signs of this?

thanks

brackishwannbe

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
Ohio
Visit site
agree with Orbitorly...

Since the fish bowl is the only container you have for the algae eater I'd put him back in the tank and treat the whole tank for fungus.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Antibiotics do not work against fungus. They work against bacteria.

Fortunately, most infections called "fungus" by fishkeepers turn out to be bacterial.

Fungal infections are actually fairly rare.

streaker1271

AC Members
Jan 5, 2003
Mississippi
Well, the place on its nose doesn't look like anything I have seen on websites. It's like a cottony looking patch growing off its nose. This morning it seems like it isn't going to make it much longer. And to top things off the only pet store here in town is closed on Wednesdays so it will be tomorrow before I can get anything to treat it. I still have him in the small bowl though. Although the one still in the tank is zipping around it like the one that I have separated was doing before I found that growth on it. Does it sound like anything any of you have ever seen?

Thanks

:confused:

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
If it's cottony, as in like cotton wool, it is fungus. He probably injured his mouth on something and the fungus has taken the opportunity.

There are some good meds for fungus. Anyone know about possible salt treatment?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store