I thought octopuses had the fastest metabolism, until I saw my Crayzilla!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Octavarium

Ambassador to Cephalopods
Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik
My neon red crayfish was sold in store as 99 cent "fire red lobster". I got him in my 60g planted, and as a baby he was the same size as my DAWRF CPO (Mexican orange dwarf which won't grow anymore, I love that little guy). Suffice to say this guy has TRIPLED in size in around 5 weeks, he munches on algae wafers, live worms, flakes, live plants, and leftovers...he just eats and molts every day I feel like! Anyone have any super fast growing crays like this, I guess its a healthy sign obviously. Soon i am going to have to move him to my spare 20g, althought he hasn't bothered ANY fish or the other dwarf CPO, I just don't know how long that will last. Pretty amazing the metabolism of some animals though isn't it. Wish I knew and took day by day picture diary of him.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I have a son like that. :p

Octavarium

Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik

Octavarium

Mar 2, 2005
East Haven, CT
Real Name
Erik

Kaliska

AC Members
Dec 6, 2015
Pretty normal. Put them in a tropical tank and feed them a lot (they can eat a LOT) and they will grow like crazy to a certain point. Eventually after reaching breeding size the growth and shedding slows down. There are several species of crayfish in the hobby that will reach various sizes. I took in this red female that is probably the length of my hand before claws lol I also have some young devil crayfish which are stocky things that get huge, thick claws eventually. It seems like I am always sucking crayfish waste off the bottom of the tanks from all they eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store