Ich on black molly

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Watchrr

AC Members
Oct 9, 2020
United States
I have a black molly with ich and unfortunately I don't have another tank and unable to buy one due to financial issues. So far its isn't bad the molly doesn't seem too disturbed, not even with other fish, he still eats. He is in a 60 gallon tank with 15+ fish, who don't seem to have ich I have already raised the temperature to 82 degrees and applied aquarium salt. Now I want to know if this is a good solution? If it is that the treatment cycle take longer? Or do I need the extra tank? Also how often do you have to do water change when treating ich I do it every 10 to 12 days general? And how often do you apply aquarium salt? I can't get a photo because I have a bad camera on my phone and he moves a lot.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
You can use regular table salt, even iodized. The harder part is doing water changes & getting the salt dosage back to full strength. I'm not sure of the salt dosage but you can look it up here on AC or google it.

If you know the dosage for you 60g tank (say it's 6 tablespoons, again look it up!) then if you remove 50% you'd need to add 3 TBSPs. OR if you only remove 30% then you'd add 2 TBSPs...like that...But (third time, look it up!!) you'll need to continue salt dosing until the fish has been ich spot clear for 10-14 days (look hard!). Then you want to do small water changes to remove the salt gradually. The more often you vac, the less ich will be in the water column to reinfect the fish.

Luckily livebearers are more salt tolerant than some species. Except that fry can be trickier, you should be able to treat them all successfully. Good luck!

Reactions: Watchrr

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
The key is how much salt do you use and what other fish are in the tank? Too little salt does nothing... if there are salt sensitive fish you have to build the level up slowly. You want 3 grams per gallon to kill the tomites, more is better if the fish can take it.

the loach

AC Members
Aug 6, 2018
Aquarium salt is fine. Those fish have no issue with salt, sorry I made a mistake in my post that should be per liter it's 12 grams per gallon, with your fish I would do 15 grams per gallon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store