Ich!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

AngieP.

AC Members
Jun 14, 2017
So I just brought home a new dojo loach to go with my other two loaches and two fantail goldfish about two weeks ago, and two days ago I noticed a few white spots that looked suspicous, today there are more spots and its effecting all three loaches, but not the goldfish. I'm raising the water temp to 85 ish, and I started api super ick cure at half dose. Anything else I should do/not do?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
^^ yes! Be sure continue dosing at least 10-14 day beyond seeing any spots. Ich goes through 3 stages: basically on the fish, then in the substrate, then free swimming & back on fish. It can help a lot to vacuum the substrate well & often. But ich is very treatable especially if caught early & treated longer than is usual on meds' labels.

Lowering the water level can allow more filter splash & oxygenation. If you fish seem stressed at 85F, you can lower the temp. Heat only speeds the ich lifecycle, it won't kill it unless it's way higher than cold water fish can handle.

Good luck & let us know how they do.

AngieP.

AC Members
Jun 14, 2017
^^ yes! Be sure continue dosing at least 10-14 day beyond seeing any spots. Ich goes through 3 stages: basically on the fish, then in the substrate, then free swimming & back on fish. It can help a lot to vacuum the substrate well & often. But ich is very treatable especially if caught early & treated longer than is usual on meds' labels.

Lowering the water level can allow more filter splash & oxygenation. If you fish seem stressed at 85F, you can lower the temp. Heat only speeds the ich lifecycle, it won't kill it unless it's way higher than cold water fish can handle.

Good luck & let us know how they do.
I had to pull a heater from a betta tank, it was the only one I could spare and I just bought my 55 gallon tropical angelfish tank a huge expensive filter (of course before I found the ich) so I don't have funds to get a bigger heater. The one I've got on now is 50 watts and it's only reaching 80-82 when cranked up all the way. I wonder if that's enough? Even at that they are more active then I'm used to seeing. I did change my small bubble stone to a bubble wall and lowered to water level so it's splashing around more. Thank you guys! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
That should be enough, you'll just treat a little longer at lower temps. Don't worry too much about hitting a specific temp.

AngieP.

AC Members
Jun 14, 2017
Woke up this morning quite a few spots are gone! Thank you guys! I'm gonna keep treating for a few weeks after it's cleared up as I've read, but should I give a few days in between or just keep medicating every 2 days like it says on the bottle? Like, med for the 4 days as directed, wait a few days and med for 4 days again? Or just keep meds in the water for a few weeks?

AngieP.

AC Members
Jun 14, 2017
The instructions say to only give one dose, then wait 48 hours, do a water change and give another dose.

MChambers

AC Members
Jun 5, 2009
Washington DC
Okay, I understand your question now. If you're going to continue the treatment, I'd keep up that routine.

I recently picked up some Biotodoma cupido from a fish seller, and when I was about to pick them up, he emailed me to let me know they had ich, and I'd have to wait a week. He raised the temperature to 90F and added API Quick Cure. I picked them up the next week and put them in a quarantine tank for another five days, and added Quick Cure for those days, just to be safe, although they had no signs of ich. I also did 50% water changes every two days. The fish were fine, and are now in a community tank.

Reactions: AngieP.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
When the spots are gone, you are not done!! Don't be fooled! Vacuum instead of just changing water. The ich falls off fish & into the substrate then it becomes free swimming to attach to fish again.

Be sure to clean any equipment before using it another tank or just wait until you're really sure the ich is gone.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store