ICK... heeelp

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

TheDuBdoNe

AC Members
Apr 11, 2003
www.mariahsmisfits.com
hi everyone... i gotta problem that i need help with okay... i have a 55 gallon... i have 6 rosy reds a pleco, a silver tip(columbian) shark, i dont remember the name but its a silvery blue catfish, three tiger barbs and a tinfoil barb... a pleco and a bala i bought from walmrt about 4 days ago both died two days later... okay... the help part... the Tinfoil Barb has what seem to be white patches on its sides and i have never dealt with Ick before so i dont know really what i looks like... i went and bought Wardley Ick Away and then see that it says not to use it if you have scaless fish well i do... sooo... will it HURT the cats?... also i have a small ten gallon tank that has nothing in it... if i fill this up with water not being cycled or anything would it be okay to put the tinfoil in there to treat it? and lastly can someone point me in the direction of some pictures of fish afflicted with Ick so i can see what it looks like... the white patches arent easily seen really and he doesnt rub into plants or anything my mind may just be worried about the two dead fish from walmart and some of the horror stories ive read on this board may just have me paranoid....

GEV83

Top Dog!!!
Jun 19, 2002
LA County, California
Real Name
Gabriel (Gabe)
You say small white patches well that doesnt sound like ick. Ick or ich same thing is like white dot looks like grains of salt all over the fish. If this is what you have then I would use the meds there are some where with scaless fish like pleco's you do half a dose and its safe for them but if that one in paticular says not to use with scaless fish then dont just go get another med. Also do move fish to a small uncycled tank this will only add more stress and make ich worse which is the very thing your trying to get rid of.

This is a pic of ich/ick fromthe link above

Last edited:

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
You know the columbian shark won't last indefinitely in freshwater, I trust?

TheDuBdoNe

AC Members
Apr 11, 2003
www.mariahsmisfits.com
yep... that i know... can someone tell me what kind of catfish the silvery blue one is?... Its like a shiny blue and silver and im certain its common... ive been wanting to read some more about it... just cant remember the common name or scientific or anything

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store