ID: duckweed vs. frogbit

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
I had assumed this floating plant I had was large-leafed duckweed (Spirodela). Earlier there was a thread here about gouramis eating a floating plant, and with the description somebody identified it as frogbit (limnobium laevigatus). So, then, I wasn’t sure any more what my plant was. I have now found on this great duckweed website http://www.mobot.org/jwcross/duckweed/ where it states “duckweed roots do not show secondary growth or branching, and do not sprout root hairs. “

I can’t seem to find anything much about frogbit. Can somebody please confirm by my pictures if that is indeed what I have? Each leaf is about 1/4 inch.

wetmanNY

AC Members
Your pictures are so close (and so excellent!) that I'm no longer sure it's Limnobium laevigatum because I wasn't aware of the neatly arranged ranks and rows of protuberances. Definitely not Lemna or its little cousin Wolffia.

This little plant is beautifully grown, too, O Easily Amused Kveeti!

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Thanks for the input. I saw that Tropica picture, TwoTankAmin, thank you, but I find their "drawn" pictures not as good as seeing the real thing. It does look close, the roots, anyway. Mine doesn't grow in threes like that, though. It has doubles that grow in lines.

WetmanNY, the protuberances might just be because of the closeup picture, they certainly can't be seen just looking at it with the naked eye (of course I'm half blind) but the leaves feel real fuzzy.

It multiplies like crazy. I was originally given about 6 leaves and now I have it in 4 tanks and am throwing a lot away.

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Yes, it does. Thank you, I think that might be it. Oh, dopey moi, I just assumed any little floaty plant was generically "duckweed".

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store