Id this madagascar cichlid

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

rourk89

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Waterford, Mi
Could someone please id this cichlid that I was told was rare, worth alot, and from madagascar. This site is really the only one I trust anymore.uploadfromtaptalk1360944791009.jpg

Sent from my DROID2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1360944791009.jpg

ZivaD

AC Members
Feb 4, 2013
Is he "speckled" on the sies or is that just a reflection of light on his scales? The angle of this particular picture is such that it could be either.....

rourk89

AC Members
Oct 7, 2011
Waterford, Mi
That is a reflection of the light, his scales are a greenish blue in color.

Sent from my DROID2 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

duane stuermer

AC Members
May 21, 2015
I see this thread is old, but was never answered.
The cichlid looks to belong to the genus Ptychochromis (maybe oligacanthus)

There are a number of species in the genus that are very similar in appearance, and may be simply "location variants", but some valid species.
I just had a spawn from Ptychochromis sp "tarantsy a few weeks ago,

the species (variant)is not quite as dark and has a more mottled appearance, and yellow markings when in spawning dress.

below is a female P oligacanthus with fry I had back in the 90s, before I had a real camera

Rafini

AC Members
Jun 24, 2012
I used to have a ptychochromis oligicanthus and it was a lot more blue. so if it is oligicanthus its not the same variant I had

duane stuermer

AC Members
May 21, 2015
According to Nourisatt and de Rham, there are at least 9 different location variants of Ptychochromis, that range from silver to bright yellow.
The Nosy be island populations seem to be the most blue, but the intensity of blue varies, depending on which crater lake on the island they come from.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store