ID?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
That is definitely an Aulonocara sp. 'stuartgranti maleri island', just not in full breeding dress. And the more I look at the one on that packaging, I'm pretty sure it's an Aulonocara baenschi 'benga yellow'.

WYite
Awesome , thanks much!

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
That is definitely an Aulonocara sp. 'stuartgranti maleri island', just not in full breeding dress. And the more I look at the one on that packaging, I'm pretty sure it's an Aulonocara baenschi 'benga yellow'.

WYite
If you don’t mind helping with one more, do you think this is Aulonocara stuartgranti maleri chidunga? Another one of the nicer assorted I got

E6C9A529-0B00-42D0-8915-76CEA378B6F3.jpeg

Wyomingite

Fish Wrangler
Oct 16, 2008
Wonderful Windy Wyoming
Real Name
Ivan
If you don’t mind helping with one more, do you think this is Aulonocara stuartgranti maleri chidunga? Another one of the nicer assorted I got

View attachment 229407
I think it's more likely an Aulonocara var. 'rubescens'. The rubescens is believed to have been line bred from the stuartgranti 'maleri chidunga', but very well could have been hybridized with another species (A. jacobfreibergi 'otter point' is sometimes suggested as a possibility) to strengthen the red/orange. Rubescens have become a dime a dozen and I suspect are more likely to end up in an assorted cichlids shipment, whereas a true Aulonocara stuartgranti 'maleri chidunga', while not extremely rare, isn't something I'd expect to show up in an assorted shipment often.

WYite

FishAddict74

AC Members
Dec 8, 2020
I think it's more likely an Aulonocara var. 'rubescens'. The rubescens is believed to have been line bred from the stuartgranti 'maleri chidunga', but very well could have been hybridized with another species (A. jacobfreibergi 'otter point' is sometimes suggested as a possibility) to strengthen the red/orange. Rubescens have become a dime a dozen and I suspect are more likely to end up in an assorted cichlids shipment, whereas a true Aulonocara stuartgranti 'maleri chidunga', while not extremely rare, isn't something I'd expect to show up in an assorted shipment often.

WYite
That makes sense. I get those type confused as well as the “sunshine’s” , Rubens, Germans eurekas etc... mix me up
These are very cheap and they’re juiced. I just get a few as filler for color and when the hormones wear off, I keep the good ones and sell or trade the rest back to my buddy. Looks like I’m keeping 4 out 9
Guess since the yellow maleri was a not a hybrid I was hoping with this guy as well lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store