Ideas for 2 gallon?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

keyboardmash

Registered Member
Mar 18, 2022
Hello everyone, I am new here.

I have an old two gallon tank that I used to keep several goldfish in (I know, it was terrible) and after the fish died my family just rinsed the tank and called it a day. We never got any more fish after that.

Now that I have a tiny bit more knowledge I was thinking of doing something with the tank that doesn't involve keeping fish. It could potentially serve as a quarantine tank or a small planted garden.

I was also toying with the idea of keeping a couple of shrimp in there. I am hesitant about this, however, because I read that the type of shrimp I want to keep (Neocaridina shrimp) can multiply very easily and should be kept in groups of 6, which I feel would quickly grow out of control for a two gallon. Also, water parameters would fluctuate more easily in such a small tank.

Please advise me on this subject. Thank you :D

Last edited:

keyboardmash

Registered Member
Mar 18, 2022
I forgot to include the measurements of the tank (centimeters). It's 23.5 * 27.5 * 12.5, which translates to roughly 2 gallons.

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I used to keep red cherry shrimp and guppies in a ~2.5gal unheated bowl w/ a small sponge bubbler filter. The RCS would overpopulate so I'd have to scoop some out and give them away. Same with the java moss which I regret ever getting. I still have it sprout up in tanks I never intended it to be in.

That's just a cheap 'clamp on' utility light fitted with a 60 or 75watt "equivalent" LED bulb and lamp timer.

keyboardmash

Registered Member
Mar 18, 2022
Thank you FreshyFresh. One more question: I know that shrimps in general are pretty sensitive to water parameters fluctuating. Did you have to change the water a lot? I don't want to miss a day of upkeep and then find all of my shrimp friends dead.

Appreciate your answer.

NoodleCats

AC Members
Feb 26, 2020
Canada
Real Name
Casscats
Camera Used
My phone (Samsung 22)
With just shrimp, you can limit the water changes to only like 10% a month. And a 2 gallon you can still keep good population of shrimp, and just rehome some if you feel it's too much.

Lots of fast growing plants will be good. I really recommend sußwassertang, shrimp absolutely love it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store