Identify fish for entertainment

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
Picture 060 by Frederick Miles, on Flickr

6 fish 5 species, two of them blurs. Yes I know what the blurs are. Have fun identifying them. :)

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
I see 2 Ottos, 2 different loaches, and a female live-bearer.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I see 2 Ottos, 2 different loaches, and a female live-bearer.
True, but not specific enough. I'll accept common names if they are species specific, but one of them will require the species because the common name is the genus. I'll give it a week and if they haven't been identified by then and there isn't an active discussion going I'll post the answers and put up a new photo.

See if you can deduce what the blurs are, I think there is still enough information in both blurs to give a hint.

myswtsins

Global Moderator
Jun 15, 2008
Central NJ
Real Name
Jen
Camera Used
Canon PowerShot SX260 HS
Otos and yoyo loach, female guppy? . Blurs...hmm, just don't know lol. Bottom left is albino dojo? Top right is female cherry barb?

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I'll go by first post that is correct.
female guppy
ding

I think I see a blurry pangio kuhli, a very speedy zebra danio
yes on these two. I didn't get a yoyo because those get a bit to large for a 20 gallon tank. The pattern would have changed on my loach once it reached maturity.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, you may have bought it as a b. kubotai, but I'm not so sure. It's pretty small & I've been seeing mixed lots of kubotai, histrionica & maybe rostrata or even birdii. I think you'll have to wait until it grows a bit to know better. I got small histy loaches that changed a lot but looked like yours.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
It was sold as Sargent Major loach which is what rostrata gets labeled with, and it is been long enough I don't remember what happened to it. I had a decent lfs that would take stuff back so I may have returned it. This shot is from '03.

You are right that it could be something else. I do know that it was not easy to get then. I put it on the wish list at the fish store for a portion of a year before they got some in.

Last edited:

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Ooh, cool! I'm not sure rostrata would be any smaller or less aggressive than yoyos but definitely more unusual. Neither for a 20g at 6+ inches. But on third look that gray area between the dark lines says to me not yoyo, probably not histrionica & I don't see any lateral stripes forming at all so maybe not kubs either. Dang, if I could be sure of getting 6+ of the same species I'd do it soon! But like I said, lately they seem mixed lots. Histys or kubotai would be great but only both in a big enough tank...rostrata seem too much for any tank I'm likely to have any time soon.

I've wondered about possible hybrids too. Neat that you got him in '03 but too bad you can't be sure anymore, I was hoping for you'd know in a year or so.

SnakeIce

AC Members
May 4, 2002
North Ga, USA
Real Name
Frederick
I found that there was much less interaction between the rostrata and the other fish than the yoyo that came with another larger tank I had. The information I had then was that it was smaller than yoyo and I had no clue the adult appearance was different than the juvenile at that point. I lost it at one point when it swam up into the eclipse style filter in the hood. It was up there under the filter for about a month before I found it. So quite able to swim up swift current and through small spaces.

So only the ottos left to identify.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store