I'm so sorry, Bettas, for overlooking you these past 20 years.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ConcentratedPassion

AC Members
Jan 12, 2019
Just as the title says. Over 20 years in the hobby l, and I've kept everything from giant danios to polypterus -- and a lot in between.

I have found myself absolutely infatuated with certain types of Bettas recently. Right now my favorite fish i own is a platinum silver/black dragon halfmoon that i named Drago. The majesty and predatory nature of them is just awesome, once you get past the "pretty, long-finned, colorful fish you can get everywhere" stereotype that i had been trapped in for so long.....

Any others have similar experiences or feelings?

• Love
Reactions: northernlady

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I agree. They are a fun fish to keep. I like their personalities, how they act and behave.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
We haven't kept bettas in 30+ years. But you're right, they are interesting fish. So many varieties these days!

You might want to try breeding them, if you haven't bred fish, it's time to try something new!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Or...get into the wild types. Not as flashy as the domestic lines of hybrids (if you are getting a store bought betta, it's a hybrid, real splendens looks nothing like even the plakats). People tend to forget that there are tons of fish in the betta family, ranging from tiny to huge (b patoti and b ocellata both get 4-6 inches and are amazing).

ConcentratedPassion

AC Members
Jan 12, 2019
Or...get into the wild types. Not as flashy as the domestic lines of hybrids (if you are getting a store bought betta, it's a hybrid, real splendens looks nothing like even the plakats). People tend to forget that there are tons of fish in the betta family, ranging from tiny to huge (b patoti and b ocellata both get 4-6 inches and are amazing).
Agreed! I'm already into them, as well. Just don't have any yet.

MontytheDog

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
I kept pearl gouramis for many years in a 20 long, with a shoal of zebra danios. I loved those fish! Now, my daughter was just gifted a betta at Christmas, and his personality is so unique! I second the "get a wild type" though. I just can't get over the "selectively by humans to be beautiful, but oddly conspicuous to predators" look. To be fair, I feel the same way about certain dog/cat breeds that we shall not name. Fainting goats though? Now those are just funny. But I digress.

MontytheDog

AC Members
Oct 17, 2010
Yes! They are beautiful. They are also on the list of threatened species, which explains the expense. Are they bred in captivity?

Suzisuzisuzi

Registered Member
Jun 18, 2019
I have 2 female crown tails adding a much needed spot of color I'm my community tank. I think the girls are also drastically under appreciated. Here's one. Not as peacock flamboyant as her male counterparts but calm and social and lovely in her own way

20190618_222946.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store