In need of some help.

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

atlbb77

AC Members
Jan 9, 2003
Atlanta
Visit site
I have just converted my 55 gallon south american tank to an African tank. I had a zebra and an auratus in seperate 20 gallon tanks upstairs. I went and got a couple of small assorted africans and added my 3-4 inch zebra to the tank as well. Over the last couple of days I have noticed that there is this white almost fungus like stuff growing only around his eye and in between them. Now he is just hiding on one side of the tank behind some big rocks and is not eating anymore. I have never had anything like this in my tank and have no idea what I need to do. Has anybody else had something like this happen? Could it be just from stress and moving him into a new tank? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Faramir

The twit from over the pond.
Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Can you describe the 'fungus' for us - is it like cotton wool, or just a white growth?

Faramir

Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Your fish has a fungal infection then - probably Saprolegnia. A lot of things get called fungus and ain't. This sounds like it is.

What has happened is that during a squabble your fish has injured itself. Fungal spores have infected the wound.

Fortunately, you can get fungus cures at the fish shop. Act quickly, though, because sometimes the fungus does.

Don't worry - zebras are tough fish. Get the right med, and he should make a full recovery.

atlbb77

AC Members
Jan 9, 2003
Atlanta
Visit site
That sounds about right, the tank that he got moved into, had too many bod rocks with little hiding spots. He may have just run into one of the rocks or something. What type of med do you suggest? Do I need to pull the other fish out of that tank, or will they be ok? Thanks again for all your help!

Faramir

Nov 20, 1998
Chesterfield UK
Leave the other fish in. Fungal spores are always present, but IIRC they can only infect existing wounds or open sores.

Baraka

Can I buy you a fish Sandwich?
Apr 17, 2001
GAMEHENGE
sagan.physast.uga.edu
I went over to NIck's (atlbb77) house last night to check out his fish and see what it looked like ---
it was wierd looking
the little guy looked like he had whole in the head from one eye to the other and it had a cloudy fungus growing on it......

I recomended that he use some fungus meds, and salt
and also use a little bit of melafix

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store