In Progress: Above ground Koi Pond

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SoCalTed

Registered Member
Mar 27, 2003
Southern California
www.havill.net
Hey all:

I'd like to get some comments and suggestions from the www pond. First of all, I have been building this thing on and off for almost 2 years (not a lot of free time out here in So Cal)

The pond is about 26' ft long, about 2' wide and 3.5' deep in the center, about 2' deep on the legs.

My question is this:
I recently contacted a guy to install an aquadyne/dragon pump system. However, he says that he would not put koi in this pond because they will jump out. He says it is not deep enough. Now, I have had koi in indoor tanks, and yes they can jump. But I have also seen numerous out door ponds that are nowhere as big or deep as mine is. Anyway, take a look and judge for yourself. I would really appreciate any comments!

http://www.havill.net/pond/

Cheers, ted

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
your pond sounds plenty deep and long enough for koi to me (when i say plenty, it could be bigger like you suggested yourself, but it will do fine), but only 2' wide? sounds very narrow to me, which may make turning difficult for the koi. but im not a koi expert. but it certainly is deep enough in answer to your question, the recommended minimum pond deoth for koi ponds is 3', 4' being better.

hope this helps.

VoodooChild

Kissin' the Sky
Dec 17, 2001
MN
Visit site
My experience limits me to what my customers tell me and what I've read here but I think 3.5' deep is enough. I would be more worried about trying to widen the pond.

125gJoe

2009 VMAX
Jul 6, 2002
More pics needed..

Ted,
I'm no Koi expert, but your set-up looks good!
PLease update the progress! Pics are great too!

Good luck with the 'pond'!

B

BigFishDude

Originally posted by KAIKS
the koi pond's at the local shopping malls here are only around 1.5 ft deep
you're also from Hawaii where the coldest it gets is like 500 degrees ;).

JH

AC Members
Sep 11, 1998
I think the pond looks great. I am a little concerned however, I don't think it is wide enough for Koi. 2' wide is kind of small, most koi can grow to be 2'-3' long and if that were the case that would be to small. I would think of at least doubling the width, or if that is not possible why not goldfish. Shubunkins and Sasaras Comets are interesting.

thom336

AC Members
Dec 17, 2002
get good quality bristol or london shubunkins and they can be far more attractive than koi. ive heard it said time and time over. you could also go with orfe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store