Indian algae shark

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

darren

AC Members
Dec 7, 2002
San Francisco
Visit site
I was watching these fish at my lfs and was intrigued by there very active feeding behavior and was curious about others success with this fish particularly with algal control.

just set up my new JBJ lighting! very excitited to see the results, and also beginning to keep an eye out for algae, hence the question about the Indian Algae eater - Gyrinocheilus aymonieri.

TIA,

Darren

kveeti

Easily amused
Jun 12, 2002
Winnipeg, MB
Gyrinocheilus aymonieri

These fish are more commonly called Chinese Algae Eaters (CAE). Do a search on these and you will probably find that most people do not recommend them. They will grow big (they will need at least a 25 gallon tank) and it is best to only have 1 per tank. Most people will tell you they eat algae when they are young, but not when they get older and that as they age they get very aggressive.

I say most people. My experience is that, yes, they do a great job of eating algae when they are young. When they are older, it is hard for me to say because I don't have algae in my tank with my older CAE so I am feeding him with algae wafers, other sinking pellets, and zucchini (he loves that!). They do get to be territorial but no worse than any other territorial fish, in my experience (which doesn't seem to be what others have experienced). I have had a few CAE's over the span of 25 years and I would only consider 1 of them to have been aggressive.

Therefore, your best bet might be to go with a more generally well liked fish, like a Siamese Algae Eater. Here is a great site on how to distinguish markings on different algae eaters.

http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/cyprinid.html

plantbrain

AC Members
Apr 27, 2001
Davis, CA
www.BarrReport.com
The idian Red's are not the cheesy CAE's.
They are 10-20X as much $$ wise.
Not good apparently for eating algae, perhaps anymore than Labeo bicolor.

I asked a few folks that have them.
Pretty fish anyway.

Regards,
Tom Barr

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store