Indoor Ponds - pond material

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
I'm planning on setting up a few indoor ponds soon. Hopefully around 330g. I've found some 300g Galvanized Steel Water Troughs for arouf $200 each. They are the perfect shape for what I need (8 ft long, 3 ft wide, 2 ft tall). But I'm not sure if there would be a problem with it or not, because of it being made out of galvanized steel.

I've found lots of water tanks made of Polyethylene, and I know these would be good. But they are around $1=1g , so much more expensive. Also found a 300g "Structural Foam High-Density Polyethylene Trough" for $230.

Thanks

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
Thanks for moveing my thread down here, where no one will see it :)

TJcanada

AC Members
Guess I'm no one:p

Nice size tubs....but I see eventual rust in the future....could line them tho with EPDM(usually under $1/ft).....

not alot of time on my hands atm...be back later (if this discussion continues)....

TJ

demon_surfer

MooOOoOOOoO
Jan 28, 2003
Visit site
if you have the time it would probably be better for your to make your own indoor ponds. Ive seen lots of plans for them and it doesnt look very hard if you have some basic wood working skills.

build a frame with 2 by 4s put some nice finished panels on the outside and buy some pond liner for the inside. The wood is usually affordable if not cheap and this would give you much more flexibility. i cant think of any sites that have actual blueprints or anything, maybe someone else knows of somewhere?

Rare Cichlids

I'm In Bloom
Dec 2, 2000
Visit site
Thanks guys. Making my own is a good idea. I may do that. But, I would prefer to use a 1 piece tank if I can find it. Mainly because its simpler, and I can add viewing windows to a tub like that. Although I am going to look into making them of wood and pond liner. That would allow me to have the exact blue print I need. TJ, is that pond yours? I took a look at your site. It's very nice.

These ponds I plan on setting up are for cichlids. I'm hoping to do an in depth experiment on a particular species. I havn't really decided on much yet, but it will probably be with one of the Amphilophus sp. (Trimacs, Midas, Red Devils, or possibly Zaliosum). I've been reading on how juvenile Midas cichlids decide which sex to be depending on the need for it. So the ponds would be used to raise 10+ juvenile cichlids each. And I'll probably make an extra one just for stocking with the extra CA cichlids, in my personal collection.

Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store