injured firemouth fin

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ryan

Finder, Filleter, and Fryer of Nemo
Aug 20, 2002
Fort Wayne, Indiana
I've been having trouble with my 55 gallon firemouth/salvini tank lately. it took me 3 days to find a dead yoyo loach (thing dug down into the gravel 3 inches before it died). as a result i suffered a small nitrite spike and ich. the ich has cleared on everything but the female salvini who only has 3 spots left. So all looked to be going well until...

my female firemouth's back fin looks white and shredded, the damaged section is an even quarter inch the whole length. aside from the large water changes, ich treatment, and a small amount of treatment for wounds the female salvini suffered last breeding run.

ryan

dave76

Home Zookeeper in Training....
May 13, 2003
Midlothian, TX
dodaniel.tripod.com
With that type of injury I would quarantine the fish, give it a salt bath and treat with melafix. Should be back to normal in no time. If you salvini still has cycts then your ick infection is not gone. Have you raised the temp in your tank?

Tightdog1

Chinaman Can!
Sep 2, 2002
Clayton/Concord, CA
raise the temp to above 80 and prob above 85 would be better make sure to do it over a period opf a day or 2 otherwise u will stress the fish even more.

treat the firemouth with melafix and he should be back to normal.

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store