Iron deficiency in my cabomba?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

JR_tank

Registered Member
Nov 4, 2019
Hello. I got my cabomba a couple of weeks ago, and were full of color. But their new growth is now light yellow. They are not deformed or stringy, they just don't have much green. They are in a 5 gallon tank with two 13 watt fluorescent bulbs, a filter, and a heater. I do have a cheap DIY CO2 generator, and I have DIY Oscmocote Plus root tabs. Ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 80ppm, pH 7.8. Please help, I'd really like them to look good. I've attached a picture.

IMG_5338.JPG

JR_tank

Registered Member
Nov 4, 2019
Oh, and all my other plants are doing fine. If it matters, my water is from a well.

JR_tank

Registered Member
Nov 4, 2019
The tank lights are on from 9 am to 5 pm (8 hours), but the room light is on until late--sometimes until 10 at night. After the tank light goes off all the plants start to lean toward the room light. I don't know if they're getting too much light, though, because they grow side shoots at the bottom of the plant, and then it becomes long and stringy until it reaches the light.

Also, sometimes the ends of the leaves turn completely transparent and fall off.

I've tried changing the water three times a week, but my nitrate levels don't go down. My tap water is fine. I will try to clean up anything my betta doesn't eat to keep the nitrates low. Should I just go ahead and do a couple of water changes to lower the nitrates right now?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Cabomba mainly feeds from the water column but your nitrate is plenty high. Have you checked for it in your tap water? At some times of year, in some places they can be high, wells can be tricky especially in a rainy agricultural area.

Of course, there other nutrients plants need...but if they don't have roots yet they may not be getting enough of them from the Osmocote+.

& since you just got them recently, they may be still adapting to your tank. I'm concerned that it's the tips that are unhappy, those, IME, are the prettiest part of new stem plants. I'm not sure what to suggest ...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store