Is a reef sustainable in a 55gal?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

SunnyX

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
I was wondering if I could maintain a reef in a 55gal. I currently have a SeaClone Protein Skimmer(100gl), an Emperor 400 BIO-Wheel Filter and 2 15 watt 10,000k lights. I still need one of those wave makers.I know I will need more lights. What do you guys suggest? I am trying to keep my lighting expenses under $200. I did take a look at a Phazer II 48" lighting system found Here
Would 48" fit in on a 55gal? I currently have 2 18" lights on there with 2 hoods. Please tell me if I can keep a reef in there and what else i would need. :)

BiggerWurm

AC Members
Dec 5, 2002
michigan
Visit site
SunnyX,

It is definitely possible. There is micro reefs that are 5 gallons and i think i saw a 1.5 anything is possible. My 60 gallon is pretty stable other than some hair algae it has been good to me. You can do it just make sure that you use some good stuff to start it. Aragonite sand or southdown seems to be the most common stuff. Quality cured live rock wich you said you found is important i have about 70 pounds in my 60. How wide is the tank? The thickness of the sand bed is up to your deciding. Your skimmer will do its job mine took a week to start producing alot of gunk but now its everyday. Lights are one of the most important parts of a reef tank unless you want all low light creatures. You might be able to find some good lights for that price I know ebay has alot of deals on lights. How deep is your tank and what do you want to be able to keep alive. I have never tried that brand maybe someone else has. I liked my jbj's until i had to deal with there morons in customer service. I got bad bulbs twice burned out over night so they send me replacement bulbs that took 2 weeks to get there and guess what those bulbs lasted 2 nights they were even from the same lot as my bad ones. Currently waiting on next replacement bulb it has been a month with no blue light. DO NOT BUY JBJ. Do it right and you can have a stable tank even at a smaller size. What was the link that you left under the blurry picture i put on here?

Jacob Abshire

AC Members
Dec 4, 2002
Visit site
I agree with the JBJ thing. I work at a pet store and only one of the lighting fixures we have ordered from them have had no problems. The rest including mine have either had to be replaced, or fixed in one way or another. The most common problems are the balest and the fans. I would go with hameltion lights, they seem to be a good company. Also, I would do a lot of sand. Probly about 6 inchs. Find out what kind of corals you want before you get the lighting. I wish I would have gone wiht MH, but oh well!

slipknottin

the original legend
Jan 13, 2002
CT
Real Name
Connor
thats an awful lot of money for 55 watts of lights.

You could go to home depot and buy two 65 watt CF lights for $30 each... not reliable or pretty looking, but they sure are cheap.

There are numerous retro kits out there for far less than that Phazer system you were looking at. Try looking at www.happyreefing.com for VHOs and T5 retro kits.

I really dislike CF bulbs, so i dont recommend them to anyone.

Water World

AC Members
Jul 30, 2001
Galrand, TX
Check around.. I think you can find better deals on lighting. I got a used A&H set for $75 from this forum (two 55w). Pay heed to Jacob's advice. Find out what type of corals you want. I like the softys, some of them don't need much light. If I decide to get MH for my system then my soft corals may have to go...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store