Welcome to AquariaCentral.com

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. You will be entering into a wonderful world of aquatic information, for all aquarists, no matter what their experience level.

Our members will do their best to help you in your aquarium endeavors. We have a vast assortment of Forums to dive into:

-General Freshwater
-Marine and Brackish area
-Terrarium and Vivariums
-Coldwater
-DIY, Classifieds, Members Tanks Photographs and more.

We even have a general area, that is just as much fun as the rest of the Community, for off topic discussions and a real-time chat room for instant advice!

Joining Aquaria Central has numerous benefits, but the best, is our 112,000+ members, helping one another in this fascinating hobby!

Register now, and be sure to check out our scheduled contests with exciting prizes!

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today! !

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Welcome to the Internet's friendliest aquatic forum!

- Team AC

1. Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!
    Dismiss Notice

Is it ok to clean your aquarium with Dawn?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Newbie Forum' started by jay733, Jun 7, 2006.

1. jay733

jay733 AC Members

Nov 26, 2007
    My sis gave me her old empty aquarium and it's been gathering a lot of dust in the garage, for she's hasn't used it in 2 years. How should I clean this aquarium before I put any fish or ornaments inside? She said that I should not use dish washer soap such as Dawn, to clean it, which frankly I find hard to believe, and that I should just rinse it with water or use salt to clean it. Is this true?

2. Hannys_Papa

Hannys_Papa AC Members

Aug 17, 2007
    Don't use ANY soaps/ detergents.
    Vinegar works good on stains/ calcium buildup. Bleach (unscented) to clean and disinfect and then plenty of rinsing and letting it air dry.

3. Debra Mark

Debra Mark Wench Boots!

I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
    Yesterday at 2:32 PM
    I'd tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.....
    Hot water and elbow grease works wonders.... ;)

4. mduros

mduros AC Members

Jun 3, 2009
    Debra's right. When I inherited my 55 gallon, it was a mess! Basically, I sprayed it in the yard with a garden hose for about 45 minutes, wiping the nastiest spots with paper towels, and spraying some more until it was clean.
    Take care,
    Mary.

5. Roan Art

Roan Art AC Members

Nov 10, 2008
    Bleach, lots of water to rinse, and dechlorinator to get rid of any left over bleach.

Never use soap or anything that contains a surfacant at all.

Roan

6. Jericho

Jericho AC Members

Dec 22, 2006
    As stated no soap. Soap leaves a film that is almost impossible to remove and it is harmful to the fish.

7. fishyaddict

fishyaddict AC Members

Feb 21, 2013
    We use white vinegar and really hot water, then scrub well with an algae scrubber to get the stuff that doesnt just rinse right off. Then rinse real well w/more hot water. It's worked real well on all of the used tanks that we have gotten and look like they would be a headache to clean.

Even on the used 125g tank we got, i just filled it up next to the sink, put in the vinegar and some elbow grease, then did a syphen to empty out the dirty water, then just repeated to rinse it down good. After that it looked like new.

As all the others said, definitely not dish soap... it's not worth the risk when any of the other methods work just as good and are safer on the fish if any is left over in the tank.

8. rrkss

rrkss Biology is Fun

Oct 14, 2013
    Soap residue corrodes the gills causing the fish to die a painful death by suffocation. Viniger and bleach are good enough to clean even the worst fish tank.

9. jay733

jay733 AC Members

Nov 26, 2007
    oh ok, thanks guys for the tip :)

10. OrionGirl

OrionGirl No freelancing!

Sheila
    Yesterday at 4:27 PM
    Sheila
    Oxiclean is also a safe option for cleaning tanks and equipment. Fill with hot water, stir in several cups of it to dissolve, wait about 30 minutes. Scrub any stained areas. Drain, rinse. The oxiclean rinses clean quickly, no nasty residue.