Is it possible to have TOO much Good Bacteria?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Anthony8858

Hey, fish-face!
Jan 4, 2004
Staten Island, NY
Visit site
Just curious.

You know that "bacteria in a bottle" the local fish store sells?.....The bottle recommends using it as "tank maintenance".

Could my tank Overdose on that good bacteria?

Am I promoting bacterial blooms?

Thanks

JSchmidt

Cowbell! I need more cowbell!
Jun 27, 1999
IL, USA
www.wiu.edu
If the bottle is labelled anything other than BioSpira (the only bacteria-in-a-bottle that seems to actually work), you're adding god-knows-what to your tank. A healthy tank can grow as many beneficial bacteria as are needed. Anyone trying to sell you 'bacteria in a bottle' to maintain your tank is mostly trying to separate you from your money.

Jim

myst79

AC Members
Jan 20, 2004
Visit site
Once your tank is cycled to it's normal load, you shouldn't really need to add any bacteria at all.

There will be as many there as can be supported by the conditions, which is plenty. And they are free too.

TKOS

Registered User of Fish
Feb 6, 2003
Nova Scotia, Canada
tkos.unsta.com
I guess in theory you could have too much good bacteria. If that bacteria doesn't have a food source then it will die off. If you have way too much in your tank then this could possibly lead to a spike in ammonia. Of course small extra buts that might get added from the standard bacteria in a bottle sources will probably do nothing to your tank. Once established you should never have to buy those products.

RHJ

AC Members
Jan 7, 2004
USA
Visit site
The amount of bacteria in your tank is directly proportional to the amount of ammonia being produced, or your bio-load:the amount, size and type of fish you are keeping. As everyone else said, once your tank is cycled the bacteria should be in equilibrium and you should not have to add anything to supplement or maintain them. If you add fish more bacteria will be produced. If you remove fish some of the bacteria will die until this equilibrium is reached again. This way, as the others said, your tank has as much bacteria as it needs, no more, no less. Isn't nature great?!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store