Is it safe?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
So I've had my tank up and running with fish (9) for a month now. All my levels have stayed stable for 2 weeks, and I want to know if its safe to add more fish. Any advice?

dudley

Eheim User
Feb 9, 2005
Medina, Ohio
Real Name
Dee
Can you post your tank test results?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Please tell us more about your tank &, well, everything!

Tank size, fish & sizes, water changes, tap water, etc. Did you ever see ammonia? Nitrite? Plants?

I know you've posted before but I don't recall just what you said or when.

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
All good lol
23 gal
9 fish (3 red eye tetras, 4 oto cats, 2 cory cats)
2 weeks without ammonia or nitrites with 1 water change (20-25%) a week
Some carpet plants (can't remember the type) and 1 Anubias .
3 Mopani driftwood peices

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
So, I'm not familiar with the dimensions of a 23g, can you tell us again please?

All of your fish would like to be kept in larger numbers; 6 as a minimum for all your species; more would be better!...if there's tank space...but there might not be...floor space for bottom feeders (corys)? Side to side for schooling tetras?...otos? They're kind of delicate in a fussy feeding "on the glass" kind of way. All "can" be kept in a smaller tank...with the right balance...

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
So, I'm not familiar with the dimensions of a 23g, can you tell us again please?

All of your fish would like to be kept in larger numbers; 6 as a minimum for all your species; more would be better!...if there's tank space...but there might not be...floor space for bottom feeders (corys)? Side to side for schooling tetras?...otos? They're kind of delicate in a fussy feeding "on the glass" kind of way. All "can" be kept in a smaller tank...with the right balance...
Dimensions: 30″ x 12″ x 18″ (76.2 cm x 30.48 cm x 45.72 cm)
Yeah I was going to add a few more of each. plus a couple of dwarf loach to eat the snail infestation I got lol

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
NO!! Don't get (my favs) loaches to deal with a snail issue. They, like all your fish choices, would like to be kept in a minimum of 6. They, as all your fish, behave much more "normally" in bigger groups. Choose either 6-8 corys OR dwarf loaches...you don't have room for both.

We're trying to help you have balanced tank for the longer term. Think hard...if you can only have 3 species, which 3 will you choose? The biggest issue I see are dwarf loaches vs corys. Pick 1 of those 2.

What kind of snails are you worried about? I like a few...but they may need control...

Ian h

AC Members
Jan 14, 2019
NO!! Don't get (my favs) loaches to deal with a snail issue. They, like all your fish choices, would like to be kept in a minimum of 6. They, as all your fish, behave much more "normally" in bigger groups. Choose either 6-8 corys OR dwarf loaches...you don't have room for both.

We're trying to help you have balanced tank for the longer term. Think hard...if you can only have 3 species, which 3 will you choose? The biggest issue I see are dwarf loaches vs corys. Pick 1 of those 2.

What kind of snails are you worried about? I like a few...but they may need control...
ok so loaches are out lol more cory's and oto's it is!! looks like bladder snails, and I just found a different one today... Not sure what kind.. might be a ram horn.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I like ramshorn snails better than bladder snails. Both have pretty weak shells & can be smushed against the glass to kill them...unless you're very squeemish. The corys may eat the "leftovers". Both lay "jelly masses" of eggs; they can be scraped off & vacuumed out...but just scraping them off is not enough.

Trumpet snails have much harder shells. Less food for all snails is a first step to their control.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store