Is my rosy barb pregnant?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Deepseafishy4883

AC Members
Jul 14, 2021
I have 3 rosy barbs :1 male, 2 females (I am pretty sure), and 5 black widow tetras. I think one of the female barbs are pregnant because the other one does not have a large stomach. This is my first post on this website. Yes I am waiting for stores to restock on rosy barbs so I can buy more. She is hiding in a dark cave area and won't come out for a picture and also doesn't come up to the surface for food.. Should I move her to an extra tank or anything?

FJB

AC Members
Jun 7, 2019
Very hard to say without seeing pictures (and even then). Generally egg bound oviparous fish do not change behavior as described (hiding, not eating), and if you have males, they would be prompting her to release. Thus, the situation may be something different.
Another suggestion is that it could be bloating. Epson salt would help (not regular salt),and if it doesn't, it would do no harm. Others here should be able to suggest dosage for your tank (tank size?).
One suggestion, if you do end getting more barbs, don't just introduce into your tank without a proper quarantine process. People preferences vary on this; for myself, I never quarantine new fish for less than one full month, which gets extended if there are actually signs of concern. It is just not worth the risk. Good luck!

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
I agree with FJB, fat & hiding is not a good sign...healthy girls just want to have (breeding) fun. I "think" the epsom salt dose is 1 tablespoon/5 gallons but check. It's the magnesium Epsom salts foot soak sold in the pharmacy "foot" area...often in a half gallon "milk jug" cardboard container. It's cheap & not harmful to other fish if you don't have a quarantine tank. That would be my first step.

I don't post pics much (almost never) but you need to have 5 posts to be able to do it on AC. Just post anything to get to 5 posts & then show us your fish. We'll try to help more then.

Deepseafishy4883

AC Members
Jul 14, 2021
Thanks for the replies. My tank is about 90L (although I normally fill it up to 71L) and I do have Epsom salts in the house so I will try using that. I'm guessing quarantining would require another tank? Which I actually do have, and I most likely will use it to quarantine because when I bought my new tetras, one of them died overnight. Also, do replies count as posts?

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
The fat 1 doesn't look to be behaving in a normal way to me. The lower abdomen looks pale in a not usual egg filled female way, but it might be ok, it's very hard to tell from pics.

Since you have epsom salt I would go ahead & dose it, 1 TBSP/5 gallons. It doesn't hurt fish & may help.

How often & how much water do you change? What size is your tank? We'll likely have more questions...

Deepseafishy4883

AC Members
Jul 14, 2021
I change every 2 weeks on Saturday, I change it so that the remaining water is up to the bottom pump/spout thing of the filter. The size of my tank is 60 x 44 x 33 (rough measurement with a ruler).
Photo on 2-10-21 at 11.48 am.jpg

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Since you use litres? & many of us are in the US, I'm going to have to translate that tank size. In the US we don't often use an internal filter, another clue you're not in the US. That doesn't mean we won't try to help you :)

I think for starters I would change more water more often. Your tank is tall but stocking needs to be based on surface area. Not that you seem overstocked...what all fish do you have?

I don't see either the black widows or the rosy barbs in your pic....or any fish. I'm worried a bit about that.

How long have you had this tank? How (or did) you cycle it?

Do you have a test kit to measure ammonia, nitrite & nitrate? What are the numbers?

Deepseafishy4883

AC Members
Jul 14, 2021
Yeah, I live in Australia. The sign is in Portuguese as I got it as a gift from Brazil. There are some fish in the photo around the bottom. I normally change water by using a siphon & bucket and then emptying it into my shower and fill up the bucket 2 or 3 times with the shower water.

I do in fact have a test kit, although I found it on the ground next to a broken fish tank that was sitting out on someone's nature strip. It is all weird and dried up but still has the bottles.

I am now more concerned about the fat fish because her poop is transparent and she sometimes swims upside down. what does this mean??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store