is my starfish dead?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
hi it's me again...i just bought a red serpant starfish tonight from my LFS..he looked great..very bright red and full of life...well when i got him home i aclimated him to the tank..when i let him out of the bag i noticed he wasn't moving..so after about 10 minutes and still no movment i decided to call the pet shop where i got him..the guy there said to give him a few minutes..so it's been over an hour ..still no movment..i picked it up and he seems limp...is he dead? or should i give him more time? i have had severl starfish ..and i have never had this happen before... ok i just checked on him..he has very little movment..he is starting to move his legs alittle but not scooting any..

Last edited:

melissadotson

AC Members
Mar 30, 2009
parkersburg wv
i don't know how the LFS did it..but i dripped aclimated it for an hour..useally with the fish i just float the bag for about 15 minutes but i know inverts are more delicate so i drip aclimate them..

Ace25

www.centralcoastreefclub. com
Oct 3, 2005
www.centralcoastreefclub.com
I agree with Amph, give it at least overnight. Sounds like you acclimated it fine. I think there is a good chance it will be ok by tomorrow. Serpent stars are pretty hardy.

Jstdv8

AC Members
Feb 22, 2010
Don't you have to make sure with starfish not to let them touch any air at all?
My guess is this wasn't done

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store