Is my tank overloaded

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Megs.G

AC Members
Jun 6, 2019
Hi All,

Nice to join you. I am kind of new to the hobby and have some questions.
I have 50 gallons tank and my concerns are if it is not overloaded. So far there are:

2 Angelfish
3 Colisa lalia
4 Platies
5 Cory
2 Otocinclus
1 Sewellia
1 Pleco
2 Kuhli

I really want to have Rams, but Im not sure if it is not full already. What do you think?

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I personally wouldn't add any more to that tank, mostly because of the platies. Unless you have all males or all females, you are going to end up with lots of them. The angelfish might keep the fry in check, but might not. Also - what kind of pleco? Depending on the species, that one fish has the potential to make a big mess of the tank as it grows.

Reactions: Megs.G

Megs.G

AC Members
Jun 6, 2019
I personally wouldn't add any more to that tank, mostly because of the platies. Unless you have all males or all females, you are going to end up with lots of them. The angelfish might keep the fry in check, but might not. Also - what kind of pleco? Depending on the species, that one fish has the potential to make a big mess of the tank as it grows.

It is starlight ancistrus.
I suppose the fry from the platies will be eaten by all the other fish.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
Ok, so luckily that is a smaller species and doesn't look like a particularly messy one, so that shouldn't be a big issue. So right now, adding some rams would probably be fine, but you'll need to keep an eye on the platy population, it can explode pretty quickly. Do you know what sex all four platies are?

Megs.G

AC Members
Jun 6, 2019
Ok, so luckily that is a smaller species and doesn't look like a particularly messy one, so that shouldn't be a big issue. So right now, adding some rams would probably be fine, but you'll need to keep an eye on the platy population, it can explode pretty quickly. Do you know what sex all four platies are?
3 are females and 1 male. First I had 2 females and two weeks ago i got the male and one more female. What is strange to me is that the two new platies (male and female) are ok, but the male is acting kind of aggressive to the other two platies

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
The male will likely be fairly aggressive toward all of the females - he will be mating with all three and all three will be producing fry, which is why they can get out of control so quickly.

Megs.G

AC Members
Jun 6, 2019
I will keep un eye on them and if the situation get bad I will take him out.

Do you know if I can keep single Ram or two females? From the store told me they must be male and female otherwise they wont be happy and live shorter.
I really like them but a pair of Rams and pair of Angels - I don't need this.

Sploke

resident boozehound
Staff member
Oct 20, 2005
South Windsor, CT
Real Name
Matt
I've only kept them in pairs, I had two pairs in a 30 long tank. I wouldn't keep only males together, but a single or two females I think would be ok....I would be curious as to how the fish store is measuring "happiness" of their fish...do they take a poll? Offer a questionnaire? "This tank is ok, but not having a life partner is really keeping me from achieving my life goals, happiness 5/10".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store