Is this a Beta disease or just color spots?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Kiwiibeans

Registered Member
Aug 1, 2019
I was cleaning out my beta's tank today and noticed that he's developed two identical spots, one red and one yellow, on his lower fin. I'm not sure what this could be and would love some advice if anyone could provide it!

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Bettas can change color, but that doesn't look like the typical change, and it's not all bettas. I wouldn't call this a disease, so much as a reaction to less than ideal conditions. What is the tank like? How often, and how, do you change water? Filtration? Temperature? Do you test for ammonia/nitrite/nitrate?

Kiwiibeans

Registered Member
Aug 1, 2019
He has a 5 gallon tank with filtration but no heating. I usually do a full change his water every month and a half to two months, but I do not test.

platytetrafan

AC Members
Jan 20, 2007
NY
Water changes should be done atleast weekly & atleast 30% not a full change out once a month if he’s in a 5g tank & a gravel vac should be done atleast once a month. If he was in a fish bowl then doing a full water change would be necessary weekly. Was your tank cycled to start off with? He looks ok the spots could be just part of his fin color.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store