Is this light enough

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

sup27606

AC Members
Jan 27, 2009
Hi,
This is a newbie question. After pondering over several days on watts/gallon, I thought I should ask you straight up. I have a 10 gallon tank with two T8 fluorescent lamps (Hagen life glo & eclipse, 14/15 watt each). Here are the plants that are in right now:

anubias, cabomba, anacharis, java moss, java fern, pygmy chain sword. I am also planning to add glosso.

Is this light enough for these plants? Suggestions for any upgrade (has to be economical) are welcome.
Thanks for your time and advice.

Fordtrannyman

Sharing Experience and Failures!
Apr 27, 2008
So. Cal.
The Cobomba, Chain sword and Glosso may not survive under that lighting. The rest will, but you will not see much growth.

The cheapest upgrade would be gutting the T8 fixtures and Using incandescent sockets with a couple daylight spiral compact fluorescents. If you mod both strip lights with 2X14w Spirals, that will double your light. Giving you more plant sp. options.
More light means you would also need to supplement a carbon source and nutrients.

icemanx23

AC Members
Nov 30, 2008
The Cobomba, Chain sword and Glosso may not survive under that lighting. The rest will, but you will not see much growth.

The cheapest upgrade would be gutting the T8 fixtures and Using incandescent sockets with a couple daylight spiral compact fluorescents. If you mod both strip lights with 2X14w Spirals, that will double your light. Giving you more plant sp. options.
More light means you would also need to supplement a carbon source and nutrients.
It seems he already got 30watts(2x 18" T8) over 10 gallons. And 10 gallon tanks usually not that deep. Cabomba may be fine cause i've this in my current tank with 2wpg. Chainsword maybe ok. Don't know about glosso:confused: but maybe fine with diy co2.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store