jewel cichlids

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jewelcichs

AC Members
Aug 10, 2017
I just got two jewel cichlids in a 30 gallon tank and the tank is looking a bit empty so I was wondering how many more cichlids I could add in the tank.

Also could you guys give me some tips on identifying the sex of jewel cichlids? Thanks!

Tifftastic

"With your powers combined . . ."
Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
I think how many you could have depends on the sex of the ones you already have. In my experience sexing them isn't as easy as some of the other cichlids, but males will have a darker spot on their operculum than the females have and another spot partway down their body. However, if they are poorly bred it wont be easy to identify. If you have two females I would suggest adding a male, if you have two males I would suggest you rehome one of the males and get either a single female or two females. But with these guys, I think a pair or maybe a trio in a 30 gallon is probably your max. But that's just my opinion. Large bodied fast moving schooling fish or armored catfish would be other options for tank mates.

Reactions: jewelcichs

jewelcichs

AC Members
Aug 10, 2017
thanks for the quick reply!
I got a trio for my 30 gallon but I was wondering if there would be any problems because i could see a pair forming and am afraid that they might hurt or kill my other cichlid. This is the size of my tank and below you can see the pair and the loner. I believe that they will be okay but Im not sure since ive heard that these fish get very aggressive while spawning so Im just gonna consult the pros. Thanks!
IMG_20170811_004814.jpg IMG_20170811_004826.jpg IMG_20170811_004843.jpg
I think how many you could have depends on the sex of the ones you already have. In my experience sexing them isn't as easy as some of the other cichlids, but males will have a darker spot on their operculum than the females have and another spot partway down their body. However, if they are poorly bred it wont be easy to identify. If you have two females I would suggest adding a male, if you have two males I would suggest you rehome one of the males and get either a single female or two females. But with these guys, I think a pair or maybe a trio in a 30 gallon is probably your max. But that's just my opinion. Large bodied fast moving schooling fish or armored catfish would be other options for tank mates.

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
They may actually go after the other one when they spawn. I would recommend a lot more rocks in there. Also, is there a reason the water level is that low?

Reactions: jewelcichs

jewelcichs

AC Members
Aug 10, 2017
I just wanted some already cycled water and am going to add the rest of the water tomorrow.

And tiff if you have a cichlid tank could I ask that you show me a photo of it just to get an idea of what a cichlid tank should look like. Thanks!

Tifftastic

Sep 9, 2008
Glasgow, Scotland
Real Name
Tiff
Mine are all experimental tanks, I do studies on cichlid behaviour, so they aren't very pretty! They're just stacks of PVC pipes, flower pots, and plastic tiles. . . I can't have a tank big enough for the cichlids I like in my flat unfortunately.

Good ol' Google has some choice pictures though. I really like this one.

Do keep in mind that water from a cycled tank won't cycle your tank any quicker. It's the filter media that the beneficial bacteria live in.

tanker

Josh Holloway--Be mine!!!
Sep 1, 2003
Calif. SF Bay area
Visit site
Real Name
Jessica
A 30gal with 2 Jewel cichlids will be at max. I see that they are small, so you can add some dither fishes temporarily. Maybe a school of larger tetras.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store