jewel needs a pal

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

battlemouth

AC Members
Jul 12, 2004
Providence
Visit site
i have a jewel cichlid and all he seems to do is swim up and down the side of my tank, looking at his reflection. Should i get another jewel to accompany him? or is there another breed of cichlid that will go well with him. there is also a red tail and a common pleco in the tank

Tommy

AC Members
Apr 14, 2004
tropicalresources.net
Most common reasons for this behaviour would be the addition of a new fish to a new environment, water quality, bullying by tankmates, or lack of space. Boredom would be VERY low on the list of possble causes so adding another fish to this tank could only complicate any of the first four possible causes. More information about your tank would be helpful (size, age, tankmates).

Oscar_Mania

AC Members
Oct 8, 2003
British Columbia, Canada
Visit site
If it is bullying that is the problem, try making some hiding spots for the Jewel. Perhaps if your tank is large enough, get a few more Jewels. This might make your Jewel feel safer and more brave.

snakeskinner

AC Members
Dec 27, 2003
Oklahoma
www.okcaa.org
jewels can be very tricky to get mates or tankmates for. tank size will play a big factor on this. We have a Jewel that has killed 2 mates in a 29 and started to bully another so he was removed for a little over a month now so his 3rd mate can get established in the tank. He is being reintroduced today so hopefully he won't kill her. we'll see, KYle

battlemouth

AC Members
Jul 12, 2004
Providence
Visit site
i decided to see what would happen with the introduction of another cichlid
sooo i got a jack dempsey that is a little larger than the jewel
the two of them happily swim around the tank
the JD leads and the jewel follows
there was a slight territory battle between my pleco and the JD but all seems well now

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store