Journal - 45 gallon Dirted & Planted Rimless Cube

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

chrisrik

AC Members
Aug 19, 2018
Thanks guys - there are no floating plants right now, just surface agitation. I dropped the agitation a little recently, but I read somewhere that some agitation helps add oxygen and co2 into the water column.

Thank you for the suggestions on the C. Spiralis. I am going to stick with where it is now - the roots are pretty significant and pulling it up will definitely cause a couple days of clearing dirt that blooms up at the same time.

To provide an update - I added 3 oto's for a total of 6. The Golden Panda molly that I had passed away. When I returned her this past Saturday, I picked up another Golden Panda Molly, and a Creamsicle Molly. Both of them took sick within a day of being in the tank, and I do not expect them to make it. Not sure if it is the particular fish type, or just a coincidence. The Dalmatian Molly is doing fine, although I feel bad for it having no companions. Not sure if I am going to try more mollies.

One of the Cherry shrimp is berried, and I have isolated within the tank. I did this with an old clear HOB filter which I then put a nylon mesh bag (paint cleaning bag) around to keep the shrimp and babies inside when they hatch.

Last - one of the Glowlight tetras had a belly which was quite large in appearance. Also it was respirating faster that the other fish. I have read the larger ones are the females. Last night I noticed the belly has reduced in size quite a bit. Does this mean she maybe laid eggs somewhere?

I'll upload some photos soon.

Any suggestions on showcase fish? Current livestock situation is:
6 x Glowlight Tetra
15 x Neon Tetra
1 x Dalmatian Molly
6 x Otocinclus
8? x Mixed (RCS and blue) dwarf shrimp
1 x Black Racer Nerite snail

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
What fish do you think you'd like? Are all these "less than" healthy mollies coming from the same place? I like to understock my tanks...more glowlights?

I agree with your research on oxygen & co2 levels. As long as your fish aren't being "blown around", it's fine. Mollies are a hard water fish, but adaptable to many conditions. Most of your animals prefer lower pH & softer water...but they, too, are adaptable; they almost all farmed these days so it doesn't matter as much from the wild ideals you may see. What are you KH, GH & pH again?

I've never done a dirted tank for just the reason you said, stirred up dirt every time you move any plant. Me, I like lower maintenance...but you'll likely have better success with some plants...

chrisrik

AC Members
Aug 19, 2018
Sorry for the delayed response. End of summer is always busy.

For fish I would love to do a couple angle fish(concerned about shrimps and neon down the road) Rainbow fish are nice as well, but my tank is more square than long(26")...i have read they like long tanks. Not too into gourami's but maybe.

A pair of community cichlids would be nice but I haven't come across a species that seems like it would work.

More glowlights are an option, but they pretty much just school with the neons. Would rather have a separate school if going that route.

KH is 71.6ppm
GH is 53.7ppm

All mollies passed away. They either came sick or just don't agree with my tank. The Dalmatian lasted 2 weeks and seemed fine but died after the last 2 I brought home passed.

I opted for a tiger and a zebra nerite snail. And added more vegetation (I believe a true rotala indica).

Updated pic:
IMAG2670.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store