Jumping back in!

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

MontytheDog

AC Members
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Hello fishkeepers! I was on this forum, MFK, and Planted Tank a long time ago, and then got out of the hobby for several years (you know, work, life, kids). I had a 75 gallon low tech / medium light planted setup for many years that first housed S.A. Cichlids (Gold Severum, geophagus altifrons, A trio of Mesonauta festivus, and a couple of plecos). Then, it housed a colony of Angelfish. Also have had a 20 gallon long with a breeding colony (1 male 3 female) Pearl Gouramis, Zebra Danios, a couple butterfly loaches, and some shrimp (surprisingly they survived in that tank!).

Fast forward - for Christmas, my daughter was given a 2.5 g "aquarium" and a very sad Petco Betta, complete with neon gravel and Spongebob decorations. Fabulous. Needless to say, we quickly upgraded to a 5 gallon, added live plants and some driftwood, and are just about to add some shrimp and maybe some snails (nerite or mystery perhaps). I will probably make that 2.5 into an invert only tank, for my office - can't leave a tank empty!

Well, helping my daughter set up this 5 gallon has reminded me how much I enjoy keeping planted tanks. I'm trying to convince my husband how nice a tank would look in the house again (aiming for 55 or 75 gallon). The negotiation continues. :p

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
Keep in mind that bettas view shrimps as pricey snacks. :)

Welcome back to the hobby!

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
How mad can he get! Kidding.

Welcome back.

MontytheDog

AC Members
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Thanks! Yeah - about those shrimp. Learned that the hard way this weekend. I thought perhaps adding a larger shrimp with lots of hiding spots might work. Not so much. In my 20 gallon long, the shrimp thrived with pearl gouramis and zebra danios. Thought they might have a chance with the betta. Guess it depends on the fish too. This guy is a little more aggressive than he appeared to be.

New plan is to set up a shrimp-only tank. It's cycling right now. That multiple tank syndrome sets in quick!

MontytheDog

AC Members
Original poster
Oct 17, 2010
Trust me. I've considered it. We have a friend with an empty 55 just sitting in the basement waiting for a home (free!). But, gotta save up for the other stuff - no filter, etc right now.

Rbishop

...and over the edge.
Staff member
Dec 30, 2005
Real Name
Mr. Normal
Welcome to AC!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store