Just setup new tank, looking for info..

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

ScottyDaug

AC Members
Feb 1, 2003
Visit site
Hi, I just finished setting up me new tank. I took cichild womans advice and bought a 20 gallon. It was a "Marineland" kit. It included a Penquin bio-wheel filter, heater & flourescent hood(all Marine land products). I am very curious about the Dwarf Cichlids, and any tips & advice on them would be of great help. How many of them would be comfortable in my tank? Also I am considering cycling with fish, would a couple of dwarf cichilds do o.k with that?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Scott

val

Oct 18, 2002
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Welcome....

to Aquaria Central, Scotty (if you haven't been so welcomed already), home of the most 20g tanks on the internet:)

Anyway, if by dwarf cichlids you mean rams, I would not use them for your fish cycle; your tank should be fairly well established for them. What else were you going to keep with them? Corys are a little hardier and they might make a better choice...

Val

OrionGirl

No freelancing!
Aug 14, 2001
Poconos
Real Name
Sheila
There aren't any cichlids that are recommended for cycling. Nor are cories--they tend to be very sensitive to ammonia. If you can't cycle fishlessly, which I strongly urge you to do, then danios are usually a hardy choice for cycling. But, the problem with cycling with fish is the tank is then balanced for a very specific bio-load--ie, just those danios. As soon as you add more fish, the tank will cycle again. With fishless cycling, you can add all your fish at once, and not cause a cycle.

As for dwarf cichlids--there are tons of fish in this category. If you can pick a few you are interested in, people will be able to respond with more accuracy. Apistos, cuckoos, rams...Lots of choices.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store