Juvenile cichlids not eating pellets

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Hanzo321

Registered Member
Dec 30, 2019
I have 2 red devils (3inches) 1 green terror (3 inches) and I'm having problems with them not eating any pellets, the RD'S dont seem to be taking anything the GT eats brine shrimp thats it.
What can i do to get these juveniles to eat pellets ?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I've had it where fish wouldn't eat pellets, or a certain kind of pellet. Usually the nice expensive, awesome ingredient list ones too. Kind of like feeding kids good, healthy stuff when they'd rather eat a bag of doritos. Once they're hungry enough they may go for them.

Hanzo321

Registered Member
Dec 30, 2019
Yes Surprisingly my 2 RD's are eating those mini hikari pellets now, took a week for them to start eating eat it, but my GT needs more starving.
I also have a 23-25cm (9inch) Oscar bought it at a LFS, He is not eating pellets but very excited to eat meal worms but i heard that too much meal worms(protein) is not good for him is that true ?

FreshyFresh

Global Moderator
Staff member
Jan 11, 2013
West Falls NY
Real Name
Joel
I like floating pellets best for my oscar and severum. I've been using Hikari bio gold+ for years. It's a floating pellet and the gold+ (plus) has probiotics that really helps break down their waste.

IMO, a quality pellet should be the fish's main staple food and then you can supplement with meal worms, shrimp, freeze dried goods, veggies, fruit, etc.

Hanzo321

Registered Member
Dec 30, 2019
Yes I was told that pellets should be their main diet, I tried starving that Oscar for 2 weeks or so, he eventually tried to eat it but spits it out . I don't know how long can an Oscar go without eating, didn't want him to starve to death so i have just been feeding him meal worms since then.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store