KH/GH QUESTIONS

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

EASTERN INDIGO

Registered Member
Nov 22, 2020
I recently decided to re-enter the freshwater hobby, after 40 years away. i have an empty 250 gallon tank, and that is going to be the display tank, with an overflow and 30 gallon (water level) sump. That thank has been fishless cycled with Dr. Tim's, and has no fish.
I also had a 125 in storage, and I decided to make that my quarantine tank. My strategy was and is to buy all the various fish at one time, quarantine them in the 125 and then transfer them to the 250. I bought about 100 mixed fish, trying to stay compatible. At least 40 percent livebearers, plus gouramis, rainbows, , various small barbs, clown loaches, glass cats and catfish. I started out with tap water, first used prime to detoxify, then put the livebearers into the QT a day after adding Dr Tim's bacteria NO MEDS. That was two weeks ago. Almost no deaths. i am now ready to mix all the other fish together and begin a one week aquarium coop medicated quarantine. The Clown loaches are in a separate tank. The Gouramis are in a seperate tank. The fancy guppies are in a separate tank. They have all been in their tanks for over two weeks, UNMEDICATED. Now I want to mix them together and medicate them as noted. Today I tested KH and GH in each of the four tanks. Here are the readings, followed by my question
ALL VALUES GH/KH:
NO FISH, WITH PRIME 9/6-7
LIVE BEAR 31/4-5
GUPPIES 14/4.5
GLASS CATS 25/3-4
CLOWN LOACHES 25/3-4
So here are my first question; WHY ARE THE VALUES OF THE GH/KH SO DIFFERENT, AND IS IT SAFE TO MIX ALL THE FISH TOGETHER WITH THESE WATER PAAMETERS, ASSUMING TEMPERATURES ARE EQUAL?
All tanks were cycled with Ti'ms, zero ammonia, with k1 media in the overflows of each tank.

Livebearer tank has a fair amount of Java Moss. No plants in others.

Thank you all.

fishorama

AC Members
Jun 28, 2006
SF Bay area, CA
Well, it doesn't really count as quarantining if you add all the fish to a smaller (although BIG) tank...maybe I misunderstood. I need help with your numbering...31/4-5? I don't know what that means, inches? cms? to what other measement? Number of fish/size? No fish 9/6-7 is especially difficult for me, sorry.

I'm not trying to be critical, I'm guessing English is not your first language...that's ok, we'll try to help as best we can...but we need more information please :)

Clown loaches will be too boisterous for glass cats, guppies & some other livebearers. Clowns grow to 10+ inches, but slowly...

dougall

Mar 29, 2005
I was assuming that the numbers were KH and GH values respectively.

But to explain differences, can you say what is in each tank, especially hardscape and substrate.

Also try testing the water directly from the tap in a glass container which should give you the actual value of the source water which all should match.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store