Khuli loaches died...

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jen4934

AC Members
Dec 1, 2004
Hello - I have a 10 gallon planted tank. Before Friday, it contained three khuli loaches (striped variety), four pygmy corys, and a juvenile betta. I just checked the water, and I've got 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, and about 0.25ppm of nitrates. The temperature is at 78 F.
On Friday afternoon, one of the loaches started acting weird. She started popping out what I assume are eggs (teeny little greenish white balls), not moving around normally, and spine abnormally straight. After putting out about 100 of the eggs, she died. There was some red flushing around the gills and a red line down the middle of the body, but absolutely no sign of physical injury.
At that point in time, the other two loaches were doing fine, happily hanging off plants and such.
When I turned on the lights this morning, they were both dead. No sign of eggs this time, but they had the same red flushing around the gills and red line down the body that the female had earlier. Also, they had seemed to produce an abnormal amount of mucus, because the sand in the tank was sticking to them.
Everybody else is doing fine, so I don't know what to make of this. Conditions have been fairly stable - I did do a 30% water change on Wendsday, but that's fairly routine.
Ideas?

Grimace

Go Catfish!
Sep 1, 2005
Perth WA, Australia
I heard that they very rarely breed in captivity... I'm not too sure about what you could do, it soudns pretty gruesome. Sorry can't really help out...

khombre

Jul 18, 2005
Quezon City, Philippines
do u have salt in the water??

how wer the fins of the loaches? did they have what seems to be fraying or rotting fins?

jen4934

AC Members
Dec 1, 2004
No, there wasn't any salt in the water, because I read that both the corys and the loaches were extremely sensitive to salt. The fins were fine, and they had no sores of any sort. Their barbels were fine too - as far as I could tell, they were in perfect physical condition before they started dying.

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
jen,

Sorry I can't offer any advice. I would think that being it was all three of one species something in the water / food / etc must have changed. How long had you had the khuli's?

Not to be cold but your last line is a keeper "...as far as I could tell, they were in perfect physical condition before they started dying."

jen4934

AC Members
Dec 1, 2004
*grins* Well, it's true.
And yeah, I figure it had to be something species-specific, otherwise the cories should have gone too. I had them for almost a year now, and they had about doubled in size from when I first got them.
I would like to get some more, but I'm thinking a tank sterilization would probably be wise first.

ghinksmon

AC Members
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
Do you feed live worms? They love them but worms can be a source of disease or parasites. Not knocking worms, I feed black worms often, but there is risk associated.

Just fishing for clues.

wataugachicken

The Dancing Banana
Jul 14, 2005
Charlotte, NC
most nitrate test kits show whole numbers, 0-60 or 100. are you sure that you didn't mix up the nitrite and nitrate readings? i don't know how sensitive they are. had you tested your water at all before you started having problems? there may have been a higher amount of nitrites which weakened them. possibly the increased mucus production was acting as a shield to protect them from the toxins. nitrites cause fish to have trouble breathing, so it fits in with the reddish gills.

jen4934

AC Members
Dec 1, 2004
Ghinksmon - No, I don't feed live worms. I'm a poor college student and can't quite afford them. They got tablets and snails. I thoiught about it maybe being the snails, but the snails and the fish have been together for nearly a year.
Wataugachicken - Yeah, most do. However, I have a cheapo testing kit, and it doesn't give accurate numbers at all. I assumed that when it showed just a teeny bit of color but not enough to match the 1 ppm swatch that it would be about 0.25 ppm.
I test about every month or so. Bad, I know, but I was raised on the small and frequent water changes method, and combined with the low fish load in the tank, I felt that all of the pollutants didn't have a chance to get near scary levels. I've never had the nitrites, nitrites or ammonia get above 2 ppm in this tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store