kinda new tank q's

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

pipebash

AC Members
Dec 4, 2005
Hello all, 2 weeks ago i got a 75 established tank with about 70 lbs or so of live rock, 2-3 inches of live sand, a colony of green star polyps, and a mushroom. the corals have been doing well and my ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are all 0. I recently got a purple dottyback and it seems to be doing fine. My q's are I put a mh fixture in the canopy and this causes the temp to increase about 3 degrees from lights on to lights off. Is this unacceptable and if so would a small fan or 2 take care of the problem? also I am really leaning towards LPS/Zoa tank currently i have a rio 1700 return pump with 4 outlets into the tank. I put a koralia 3 in and it seemed like the Gsp and mushroom didnt like it so I've had it off. would the LPS be ok with my current flow? And lastly I have been reading about zoas and that the small starfish that start with an A will eat them. If this is true should I buy a harlequin shrimp or are the benefits of the starfish worth not having zoas?

So to recap Q's-

3 degrees too much of temp swing from morning to night?
Is flow acceptable for an LPS tank?
Should i buy a harlequin shrimp for the starfish so that i can safely house zoas?
Thanks for any help

CoraLife

Profesional Idiot
Apr 20, 2008
Too Far from the Ocean
- asterina???? stars i think( the little white ones with six legs) are present in my tank and i succesfuly keep a thirving zoa colony.
- 2 fans wouldnt hurt at all so i say go ahead and get some.
- what is the total gallon per hour flow rate on your aquarium(GPH). you should aim for 20x turnover but i think 30+x turnover is best for stony corals. do not put flow directly on them.

Catpicklesdog

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
Feb 25, 2007
Telford, UK
Real Name
Alison
I agree with Coralife.

I also have hundreds of asterinas and all my corals are thriving. I certainly wouldn't recommend Harlequin shrimp for them, as they really need larger seastars to thrive and that's an expensive diet!!!

I also run a fan with my halides (2 x 250w) and that helps keep the temp in check.

Try re-positioning your powerhead, like CoraLife said, ideally you need to aim for a minimum of 20x turnover, and I never include the return pump in that, powerheads only.

HTH

pipebash

AC Members
Dec 4, 2005
ok thanks for the info guys. Ive tried several positions for the koralia but it seems like it just blows the hell out of the gsp and shroom wherever i put it. maybe i need 2 to counter each other so it doesnt create a whirlpool effect?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store