krib breeding question please help newbie

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

brandonb8

AC Members
Mar 21, 2004
Visit site
HI guys. I had a question about kribs breeding habits. I am new to cichlids and have found this site very resourceful. I have a pair of kribs that I believe are male and female. The male has less color and a pointier tail. Anyway after getting them from the store (they told me they were male and female too) I put them in the tank and twenty minutes later the purple bellied one started to spasm. After freaking out I checked this site and found out that this is breeding behavior. This has continued for about 3 days with little interest from the male he follows her around but nothing. Now today he has started to do the spasming thing too. Is this normal. Any help is greatly appreciated because I am new to these wonderful fish. Thanks

ChicoRaton

Se?or Member
Jun 5, 2004
Idaho, USA
www.hazy8.com
yeah. It is normal breeding behavior, and means they're interested in breeding. If you want to try and get baby kribs, provide a cave with a small entrance like a moidified inverted flowerpot. They will probably lay the eggs in there. It might take them a few tries but they'll get it eventually.

kribman

AC Members
Oct 19, 2003
Visit site
takes a while

It takes a while for the kribs to finally get down to spawning. Most importantly, do not disturb them! never be looking in their caves, even outside the glass, that will just slow them down even more!

Leporinus Guy

Master Freshwater Fish Breeder
Jul 18, 2004
Vancouver
Visit site
Baby Kribs

Once they start, you should have a plan for what to do with all the babies that survive, like finding an LFS that will take them, having another tank ready, or friends that want them, etc.

Once they've begun breeding, they will continue fairly frequently so long as the conditions remain suitable.

Kribs are really easy to breed in my experience, a male and a female and a suitable breeding site (as mentioned above), and reasonably good water conditions is all it takes. Patience, my child, and nature will take it's course.

The only thing I found somewhat disturbing - as it relates to breeding - is that the male is not brightly colored. Usually when conditions are good, the fish's health is good, and they are ready to breed, the colors intensify. Blanched out color tells me the male may not be ready to breed, mature enough, or healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store