Krib Update

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Well, since it had been a week since I posted about my krib agression problems, I thought I'd post an update.

The male (who was 3 times larger than the probable female) had started coming out more in the daylight. He kept the female pinned in the upper right hand corner for 3 days in a row, so I decided even if they were a male/female pair, they were not a "pair" in the proper sense.

I went back to my LFS, and they accepted a swap of kribs. The LFS guy and I spent a lot of time, and although none were paired up in the tank, we definitely found a male and female of just about the same size. The male is much more colorful than my first male, but he definitely has a pointed dorsal fin as well as color all the way to the point of the fin. The female is a tad smaller, and she has a rounded dorsal fin with color that stops well away from the end (my prior alleged female had only a "roundish" fin and color that went quite close to the end of the fin - this fish was hard to tell whether it was a young, undeveloped male or an ambiguous female).

Anyway, I wanted to thank you all for your advice, and I'll see how these two do together...

Eric

Beth

>>>
Apr 7, 2003
Henderson, KY
Visit site
Good luck!! Hope it works this time! I am really enjoying my pair of Kribs. It took a few days for them to accept their arranged marriage but they've laid eggs twice now (no babies yet... Martha keeps eating the eggs:rolleyes: ). Don't know what I'd do with all those extra fish anyway!

Tim Bo

Does fuzzy logic tickle?
Apr 11, 1999
Copenhagen, Denmark
hjem.get2net.dk
Sounds promising Jayhawk. Thanks for posting back. Hopefully the new pair will fair off better.

I went to an LFS today just to look and ended up finding a beautul pair. They were already in love in the LFS tank - the male was holding 12 other Kribs and 15 Anomalochormis thomasi away from his girlfriend, so I knew straight off that they were ideal. The second I put them in a new tank, they merrily scoped out the tank and swim around together. For now,...

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
Cool krib stories from both of you - that's what led me to give them another try instead of returning to Tanganyikans. Well, I've also grown really fond of my African Butterfly Fish which wouldn't do well with Tangs, either! :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but things looks calmer in the hour or two they've been home than they ever were with the old pair.

Eric

Jayhawk

AC Members
May 12, 2001
Lawrence, KS
:D There is officially no question that they're a couple now! After a few days of chasing (by the male again), today I came home from work to find a bright pink bellied female out doing the curve and shake dance with the male. They're just so darn cute!

Looking closely at the female, her tail and dorsal fin look a wee bit ragged...it looks like she had a rough time before that magic spark took place, but the chasing has stopped and they tend to be around each other constantly now.

Finally, I'm seeing why so many folks love kribs so much!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store