Kribs Can't Produce Fry

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
Hi, all,

I've got a male and female krib who have paired off, and one other male krib who spends his time hiding at the opposite end of the tank, pretty much. (I've tried to catch him to give him away, but I can't get the guy!!)

The pair spend practically all their time in and around the breeding jug, breeding colors and behavior high, etc. They've been at it for a couple of months now, but there are never any fry! I've bred kribs before, and I've never seen this happen. What gives?

The only thing I'm wondering about is where the jug is located; it's on the bottom of the tank, partially under the output of my AquaClear 200, and there's enough current for the plants above the jug to swing in the current a little. Is that too much current for kribs to breed? Is the current moving into the hole in the jug and somehow messing up the eggs?

This really has me stymied. I don't know whether to move the jug or get another female krib or what. Help?

Thanks,

-- Pat

Darkangel

AC Members
Nov 16, 2002
Oshawa, ON, Canada
Cichlid Woman, I would counsel patience in this situation. Kribs are finicky and long, long courtships are not unusual. Any other fish in there that could be a problem? To catch the odd male out use a trap. An easy one can be made with a jar and a chunk of hobby (Cross stitch?) plastic mesh. Roll the mesh into a funnel, insert it into the jar wide end out. Put something tempting in the jar and wait for him to go in. He will not get out quickly and you will have him.

Last edited:

O-man21

30 FW, 6 SW, 2.5 SW
Dec 3, 2002
Des Moines, IA
I have the same problem..but they will eat the eggs or fry...I can't really tell which.I don't know what to do..cna I take the eggs out after their laid?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store