Kribs - pairep up?

• Get the NEW AquariaCentral iOS app --> http://itunes.apple.com/app/id1227181058 // Android version will be out soon!

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Hey all! I have a 37 gal tank with 4 kribs, 2 male and 2 female. I have a possible pair that when around each other are not aggressive to one another but if the other unpaired male and female try to swim around the other pair, the pair chases after them. Is this a sign that I could have a possible male/female pair?? If so, what should I do about the other m/f who can't seem to get there act together??? I do know for sure about the sexes. The other female "sits" near the top of the water, at an angle, in one of the corners on the tank. The male still swims about, but gets chased off by the possible pair. Ideas appreciated! Thanks

Cichlid Woman

Dwarf cichlids rule ...
Nov 27, 2002
central Illinois
Visit site
I've got the same situation. I'm getting ready to give away the non-dominant male and female (who, like yours, are not pairing up) because they don't have much of a life in the tank. The male spends all his time in the corner, and the female hangs out near the top of the tank.

The other pair appear to be breeding (or getting very close to it). I've had them all in there for months now, and still no sign of pairing between the other male and female. I even wonder if their presence is holding off the breeding by the paired couple.

-- Pat

Mcdaphnia

AC Members
Even in a 125, I had trouble when trying to have more than one pair in a tank. Pick the nicest male and nicest female. Don't worry about their apparent preferences. They are fickle. Leave them in the tank. Put the other two in another tank or sell, trade, or give them away. A male and female krib when left to themselves will usually breed. Things can happen, such as a "wife beater" or a female who kills the male becasue he won't or can't (too small a tank) keep the proper distance from the fry while patrolling the perimeter. However two is company, three or more is mayhem. If you decide to divide the tank, use a solid divider so that they can't see the other pair and so that the fry cannot squeeze through onto the wrong side.

jdheff1982

No you're not! I'm Sparticus!
Aug 17, 2002
Wichita, KS
Visit site
Hey thanks for the info. I just moved the sub-dom pair toa 25 gal to theselves. The female has become nippy and the male lingers at the top. His body almost white and the colors cme back when I feed him. Hope the nipping stops and they become a nice pair. Thanks again!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store